Keyboard problems (didnt know where to post)

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hey

just like 20 mins ago, certain keys on my Keyboard....stopped working, for now i have found that my "Up" arrow, Num Lock, Caps Lock do NOT work.. i havent messed around with them, and i tried to restart my computer but they still did not work. I need help seriously, because i am in great need of having a functional keyboard for writing my external essay. Thank You very much if anyone can help me

Comments

• dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2005
    From my little knowledge, you may need to gently lift one off, clean under the key and retry. I used a couple of butter knives. Nice and blunt as to not do damage.

Not sure what got spilt, but it worked a treat. If it is a desktop computer, could you borrow another keyboard to try??

It is in the wrong part of the forum as this is for computers that will not work.....emergencies only. One of the mods will move it for you, no probs. :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    dragonV8 gave you good advice. Every time I clean out my keyboard I'm amazed at the accumulated crud I find.

You might also go to Control Panel>>Accessibility Options and see if your keyboard settings got messed up. There are third-party programs which can remap keys which could also cause the problem you describe.

You mention that you're writing an essay, so I assume you are a student. Just a thought, but if you live in a dorm where others might have access to your computer you might be the victim of a prank. One of the oldest tricks in the book is to remap someones keyboard so that they get unintended results. You might check all your running processes and see if you can spot anything suspicious.

If you have another keyboard you can borrow for a few minutes that would be a good idea. It would narrow the problem down between hardware and software.

Moved to appropriate Forum :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    *bump*

Member is still in need of help. :(
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    Has he just rebooted even? Robin has a certain program that jacks the keyboard up from time to time. Tried multiple motherboards and multiple keyboards. She reboots and its fine.

tex
  • edited April 2005
    Are you using a wired or wireless keyboard? Sometimes I find the wireless connection between my keyboard and receiver "scrambles" up. A restart, or two, of the <b>receiver</b> usually gets it back in check
  • edited April 2005
    If the keyboard itself is nothing special (not wireless, just a standard keyboard) I'd just replace it. The cheap $5-$10 keyboards are just too difficult to open up, and very, if not impossibly difficult to put back together.