Sony fined $90 Million, told to halt sale of PlayStation

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Looks like Sony is in trouble for a little bit of patent infringement. The company has been ordered to pay 90 million dollars in damages to a US tech company, Immersion Corp., and ordered to halt sales of its blockbuster PlayStation consoles in the United States. Sony have said they will appeal the decision by a California federal court immediately. Sony will continue to sell its PlayStations pending a ruling on the appeal.
"The order is regrettable. We would like to start appeal procedures immediately." the Sony spokesman said. "We will argue ... that we haven't committed any (patent) infringement.
Submitted by: Camman

Source: Yahoo

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2005
    holy hell thats alot of money
  • edited March 2005
    not for sony
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Wow, they could have to pay retroactive royalty fees on all Playstations sold if the court rules against them.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    "We will argue ... that we haven't committed any (patent) infringement."

TRANSLATION:

"We know damn well that we committed patent infringement, but we're going to try and talk our way out of it anyhow".

I've worked at the Sony Technology Center in New Stanton, PA (Sony Pittsburgh), and I wonder how this will affect them. But they don't make Playstations there.