Competitor pricing a system...whats your take?

jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
edited March 2005 in Hardware
A girl at work had me price her out a p4 system for around $700.00 including monitor. Her friend who says he's a "computer engineer" then instructs her to get a system with DDR2 and a 2.0Ghz 775 P4. Her husband is going to be using the system for graphical software and possiably some multimedia DvD uses. She was told by this other fellow that the 775's above 2.0 lock up, and that there are problems with DDR1 that arnt being disclosed by the companies who make it.

So has anyone heard of these issues before? I been putting together systems for 3 years for private customers and my company...and I have yet to hear of these problems.

Thanks!!

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I certainly haven't heard of anything like that. I push my P4s at work (they're over 2.0 ghz) like crazy and I haven't had any problems that suggest a flaw in the processor. I especially think that his argument that there are problems with DDR1 is bunk. He must be talking about something pretty obscure, becuase if it was a big problem, there sure are a lot of people that use DDR1 that would have griped about it by now. DDR2 doesn't offer much, except higher prices.

If he's doing anything really high-end with his graphical software, he's probably going to want faster than 2.0 ghz anyhow.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited March 2005
    Everything you have said is exactly the same thing I've told her. I'd like anyone who's reading this thread to respond so I can actually show her what more then one or two computer experts have to say about what she's been told.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I'm in total agreement with you two. I've been building computers for people for quite some time now, and I work tech support at an engineering firm. We order and deploy all new computers that come through here. I'm fairly confident in saying that I know what I'm talking about. :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    1. I guess they'll let anyone be effing computer engineers these days. Everything that this fellow is saying is a complete and total farce.

2. There are no instability/compatibility issues with the LGA775 CPUs.

3. There are no "Undisclosed" problems with DDR1.

4. This computer engineer is a jackass.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited March 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    1. I guess they'll let anyone be effing computer engineers these days.
    Computer Engineering mainly means they're a programmer with some electrical engineering knowledge, it doesn't mean that they have any knowledge of any kind of actual hardware. I have a hard enough time explaining to my EE friends why they shouldn't buy an external harddrive when they have a desktop...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Everyone's a "computer engineer" :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I have a recording studio in my basement, too... ;)
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2005
    yeah, this "computer engineer" has no clue. :rolleyes:

First of all, there are NOT any lga775 cpus that are clocked as low as 2.0ghz. 2.66ghz is as low as they go for p4, lga775. 2.53ghz, for a lga775 celeron.

2nd, ddr2 is over-priced crap compared to low-latency ddr.

3rd, i haven't had any mysteriously "locking up" problems with the 2-3 p4 (3.0ghz+) systems that i have built in the past year and all of them are overclocked.

This guy must work for a ddr2 company or something. I would've said he works for intel, but then he would be telling you that the p4 EE is the best cpu available. I have never heard of anybody saying that 2.0ghz is the max to look for in an intel cpu. :shakehead ;D
  • edited March 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    1. I guess they'll let anyone be effing computer engineers these days. Everything that this fellow is saying is a complete and total farce.

2. There are no instability/compatibility issues with the LGA775 CPUs.

3. There are no "Undisclosed" problems with DDR1.

4. This computer engineer is a jackass.

Amen!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    ;D I love these people who are all "well my super intelligent friend says..."

WELL HAVE THEM BUILD YOUR GOD DAMNED COMPUTER!
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited March 2005
    Heh, I think she's finally convinced after reading this thread. I printed out some benchmarks and graphs to compair the DDR1&2, and I think that pretty much ended all questions she had about the RAM she needs. I just built the CEO's wife a new system for her office, and I used a 3.0 LGA 775 on an intel board with no problem. I was highly intrigued about what exactly was "wrong" with the LGA's that nobody else has been complaining about.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited March 2005
    Hopefully all those "computer engineer" rips wont change her view of her husbands 1337 skills too much ;D
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2005
    Ahem... A64? :hiding: