System stability issue

black94zblack94z Maine
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Hi, I have been experiencing some system stability issues for the last month (running XP SP1) and am been currently in the process of backing up all info to do total reformat and software reloading. I think I may have screwed something up in the process of eradicating some spyware issues that I have now fixed. Anyways tonight I received a system message (or so I think it was from my system, not a popup) that said something to the effect of "System files have been changed and are affecting the stability of the system. Insert XP cd to copy files" (in fancier terms of course). My initial reaction was just to hit cancel as I thought it was just a stupid pop-up. Once I hit cancel it popped up another window that said are you sure you want to continue running the old files? After thinking about it I should have just put the CD in to see if it would fix my instability problem (i.e. 10 reboots a day due to sound, internet connection, freezing IE windows, etc). Is there a way to get back to this prompt to try to overwrite these 'bad' or 'missing' files? Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    you can try and do a system recovery. Just pop in the windows cd and boot to it and before it offers to install it will tell you something about already having windows installed do you want to recover ...click yes and it will reinstall whatever is necessary.

However ...in all honesty if it were me I would just do a complete reinstall with a slipstream of sp2.