Home network not sure what i've done...

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Hi, although i can get by with computers Network talk, Lan, wan etc really confuses me, I have bought and installed a 4 port modem/router, with the intention of letting my son share the internet connection from his bedroom, I have managed to get him on the internet (his computer Win98) and mine (XP)still connects fine. i can see his computer and browse his files but only when i have an icon in "show all connections" that is marked "Internet gateway".
Now i need to get on DC++ (file share) and this again only works when the "Internet gateway" icon is there. The trouble is is that the "Internet gateway" icon disappears on its own some time after logging on (my computer) (it is there on log on).
the sons computer can see my computer but when i click it in Network neighbourhood (sons computer)it says no rights have been granted..(from my computer).would this also be why his computer won't print on my printer.(my printer is set to share)
So basically what have i done and why does the icon disappear, i have enabled uncp in my router etc but i'm clueless with Network talk so keep it simple please.Also am i covered security wise with norton antivirus, mcfee firewall installed and does this cover both internet connections.
Sorry to waffle on
thanks
anthony

Comments

• Shadow2018Shadow2018 Northwest Missouri
    edited April 2005
    Do you have Norton's installed on both systems? Or is it just yours?

If Norton's is installed only on your system it does not protect the other (your son's) system. Most (if not all) of your routers today have a built in firewall into the unit. I will assume that you have set it up so that you're the network administrator. You may just need to tweak some setings. I woyuld go to the router manufacturer's website and see if they have some troubleshooting info listed. That is always a good place to start.