Internet Connection Problem

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Hi

I am having trouble connecting to Internet Explorer. Every time I try to connect I get the following error message:

res:shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

I was looking at some spyware related threads yesterday and attempted to use HijackThis but could not find anything suspicious looking.

Another thing is that the Local Area Network icon in the bottom toolbar has a red cross through it and says "a network connection is unplugged".

Could it be as simple as that or is something more sinister?

Can anyone offer any advice, I hope so as this is a machine at a house I am looking after and they are back in 5 days!!!

Thanks
Daz

Comments

• Shadow2018Shadow2018 Northwest Missouri
    edited April 2005
    Not all spyware is going to be "suspicious looking." Some spyware actually looks like a legit system file. Unless you are absolutely positive that you know how to use hijack this I would suggest posting a log in the spyware section here just be on the safe side.
  • edited April 2005
    look in the host file and see if you have a loopback to that address
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    daztrocks wrote:
    ...Another thing is that the Local Area Network icon in the bottom toolbar has a red cross through it and says "a network connection is unplugged".

Could it be as simple as that or is something more sinister?...
    Have you checked the cable? Are the link lights lit on both the NIC (if there is light there) and on your router/cable modem/dsl/whatever? Try unplugging the network cable from the device it is plugged into for a few minutes, then plug it back in. Do the same for the power cord for the router/cable modem/dsl/whatever at the same time.

Check in Device Manager and see what it shows under Network Adapters. Does it show it as functioning properly? Look in Control Panel under Network and see what is says there.

Spyware/Virus/Trojan stuff is always a possibility, but the error you're seeing indicates a physical problem. You're simply being referred to the local page Windows shows when it can't connect to the Internet.

Good luck. :)