Hard Drive Dilema

edited March 2005 in Hardware
03/30/05 0620a.m. Don't know if this is the right place or not as it's the first time on board...
Once upon a time in a far away dark space there was a 2000 Win ME OS that had a AMD 1.1GHz at the wheel with 512MB of passenger space and a 60Gb Maxtor HD supply train attached. The beast wasn't used a lot from the beginning but 4 months ago an evil swartz popped up and said, warning 1720, imminent HD failure...after doing the obvious things I got Mr Norton Sys Works and the Dr. fixed what was a boot sector problem, but to be on the safe side, I left the pc running all the time and had no more evil swartz' pop up...that is until my granddaughter downloaded yahoo mail/messenger...I was in the process of removing it from the dark space when some error module popped up and the sys. went into Phantasm II. I spent 2.5 light hrs. with the HP moles and they wound up having me try to repartition(deleleted all)and that worked but I was unable to boot up with my Quickie Restore cds and the moles said the cd's were bad(wrong, i just bought them)it displays 'no OS present'...and that's where this low level space jockey is now.
First, I know that from previous experience that when you delete files they aren't really deleted and can be recovered by having Dr. Norton do his thing..I want to put in a new hard drive about 40GB and upgrade to XP(ugh, shades of the dark side)...can I recover data from old HD with Dr. N's sys. works? I don't use a lot of HD territory, about 5 GB of total space used prior to this. Second, is there a program that will allow you to have to working OS'?
Third, does the FAT32 have anything to do with the boot up sector? and If the FAT32 can be located anywhere, should it be for safety? I've been told that XP will fix the boot sector problem...is that right? Fourth, if I leave the supposedly bad HD in(disconnected) and install the new one and boot up with XP, can I re-attach the old HD (parallel ribbon cable?)and access it and try to fix it and have it as a slave? How to do that? I know this is a black hole amount of data, but any help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks and forward to whomever if need be. drill sgt HOOAH! :rolleyes: