worth dropping divider?

deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
edited April 2005 in Hardware
hope someone can give me some advice here..... my current PC is a s754 3200+ in a MSI NEO2 board, with 2*512MB of corsair DDR400. After much fiddling about I managed to get the ram running stable at 400MHz (although it's supposed to run at that speed this board is very picky) by upping the voltage to the RAM and the CPU. However it will only run at 400MHz, 1MHz over and I start getting problems. If I drop the divider to 333MHz (CPU/14?) I can raise the FSB to around 225MHz, giving me a CPU speed of 2.5GHz(ish), but obviously the RAM is running async, and I understand this causes problems on AMD systems. So, after that barrage of acronyms, a few questions for the gurus...

1) Does running async cause major performance hits on AMD systems? enough to cancel out the benefits of running the processor at 2.5GHz instead of the stock 2.2GHz?

2) to run the RAM stable I have to raise the CAS to 3, however I understand this doesn't really affect A64 systems, your thoughts?

3) I'm hoping to grab some sticks of OCZ gold series next month, as I hear they do geat things on the NF4 boards which I hope to upgrade to shortly, anyone running OCZ gold series ram on the MSI NEO2 board? How does it perform?

okay, think that's about it, cheers for any thoughts you might have.

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    To answer you memory questions, both asyn and the timing issues, you need to run some benchmarks. That way you can compare on your set up.
    Use the Sandra memory tests, but only the unbuffered ones.
    This should give you a good feel for the effect.
    Or, use my test, Does it feel slower?
  • FreshyPFreshyP Don Cheadle Cyberspace Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    o now i git it my computer,s speshl
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    ;D;D

So is mine, buddy. :)