Feedback on site design, please...

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited May 2005 in Internet & Media
//edit: Most of the post doesn't apply anymore, but I won't go and edit it:

Myself and a crony of mine have been working on a site for several months now. We've got the design refined and probably finalized. It's for a local golf course. I'm wondering, could you folks please check it out and tell me what you think. Any suggestions are welcome.

Right now I'm particularly interested in knowing whether the links on the contact page display correctly in Firefox. They should be a light shade of green, rather than the standard hyperlink blue. For some reason, I was unable to redefine the stock A tag in the css and have that change affect FF, although it did work in IE. I have recently changed it to have its own class, and I changed those links to that class. However, crony says that they still show up blue in FF for him, but the other classes of A tag (such as the ones that show hole numbers on the scorecard, and the hyperlink to Nexlia in the footer, both show up as the class defines them in the css... how does it look to you? Does anyone know why I can't redefine the A tag in the CSS for FF? I can't find any info on the web about that difference...

One more thing I'd like to note - the top part from the banner down to the rollover menu, and the bottom from the HR down are both include files - rather than paste the same code into every file on the site, we have an include statement at the top and bottom of each page, so that any changes to the top or bottom only has to be performed once on an include file, rather than on every page on the site.

//edit: The site is currently in a trial phase under: www.obannoncreek.com

Thanks!

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    The links on the contact page show up as blue for me (FireFox 1.0.2)

Main page: The first thing that jumps out at me on the front page is the buttons. If at all possible, try to find some matching button art. Second thing is that block of text: there's a lot of information in there that I'm too lazy to read (I read it anyway but this is the mentality of someone visiting your site). I see lots of things in there that would make a great bulleted list.

Site layout: Excellent!

Miscellaneous: Staff page could use some mugshots.

Overall it looks great and with a few finishing touches it'll be awesome.

-drasnor :fold:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    The staff veto'd photos, unfortunately. The block of text is verbatim from what they gave us, but we can propose changes to them. I'll definitely have to look into art for the buttons - right now they're defined through the CSS entirely, which gives them pretty low-overhead. We've got a lot of leeway to play with fonts and styles on them, though.

Thanks for checking it out and telling me what you think - any clue why my links are still blue in FF?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Firefox defines custom colors for visited/unvisited links in its preferences. I'm not certain, but it may not support HTML tags overriding these settings. Don't quote me on that.

-drasnor :fold:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    On a mac at 1440x900 the primary "logo" font is pretty thin and hard to read. Other than that, it's looking mighty good
    edited March 2005
    Thanks prime - we've been fighting for days to find a decent font. Does anyone know how to get 'the GIMP' Text tool to bold a font that doesn't have a bold option in the list? Or to small-caps it, for that matter?

Oh, and how do the links look in FF now? I think I may have fixed it... :thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    On a mac at 1440x900 the primary "logo" font is pretty thin and hard to read. Other than that, it's looking mighty good
    I feel the same way. (1280X1024)

I think the switch from regular to italic is a little odd here:
    It’s a place… where warm enduring friendships flourish around an outstanding centerpiece of golf!
    This would work better if there was a list of several items with the same style:
    It’s a place… where warm enduring friendships flourish around an outstanding centerpiece of golf!
    It’s a place… where geese crap on the greens!
    It’s a place… where you can get loaded at the 19th hole!
    With just one item I might put the entire sentence in italics.

I'm nitpicking - my overall impression is very positive. You've done a fine job. :)
    edited March 2005
    I so totally want to add the line about the geese! ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    Be my guest. :D

I'd make sure the check clears for your web design work first. :cool:
  • PressXPressX Working! New
    edited March 2005
    Looks good. My first thought would be to increase the leading (space between the lines) and the tracking (space between characters in a block of text) this helps the reader flow through the text a little. I am sure you can define it in CSS. Good job on the site! :thumbsup:
  • Private_SnoballPrivate_Snoball Dover AFB, DE, USA
    edited April 2005
    Here's a few suggestions.

The member log in screen could be aligned right, so it doesn't crowd up the middle.

The middle text seems really cramped. I would move the temperature readings to the bottom, and spread the text acrossed the screen instead of straight down, this would make the site seem less scary to visiters.

Thats just what I see from the home page, I'm in school now with my teacher right next to me so I can't be doing too much stuff off topic.

Later,
    Alex
  • edited May 2005
    Hi,
    I think your site is great and the colour scheme used is quite good as it is relative to a golf club. I have a question. Did you use any software or did you handcode it yourself (and with your friemd). Also, did you use HTML? i think you mixed in a bit of Javascript as well right?
    edited May 2005
    This site is all hand-coded by my friend and I. We used HTML, PHP, and javascript. :D
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.obannoncreek.com

Your site is not 100% correct :o

Yet you did this by hand.
    edited May 2005
    Thanks GrayFox!
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited May 2005
    No problem thats kinda odd that it failed if it was done by hand tho.Awesome looking site :thumbsup: