Microsoft Windows XP x64 RTM

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
It has been reported that Microsoft have just announced that the 64-Bit version of Windows XP, Windows XP x64, has finally been RTM.

View: More Info On Windows XP x64

At this time I may like to point out that contrary to my own personal scepticism (see here) as it turns out Extended64.com were in fact correct with their exclusively reported end of March RTM date. I've registered in their forums as a good will gesture, and to say hello.
It will be interesting to see what final software and hardware support is like in x64. Paul Thurrott extensively reviewed x64 RC2 in late February, stressing that 32-bit software support was less than stellar. ”Software compatibility in XP x64, currently, is a disaster. Don't get me wrong: Most 32-bit applications do indeed install and run on XP x64 just fine. But I suspect that most people who try out this system over the next several months will be irritated to find that one of more crucial applications will not install at all, and that alone will give many a bad experience. Most of them, I suspect, will run right back to XP 32-bit.” Stay with Neowin as we look into software compatibility and performance issues with XP x64 RTM.

XP x64 is expected to yield a performance increase of around 35% to native x64 applications. (Generic 32-bit applications should see no performance change.) Microsoft will be launching XP x64 at this years WinHEC conference in Seattle (April 25-27) where it also plans to debut a new developer preview build of Windows Longhorn.
Source: Neowin.net

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2005
    A very interesting article. (More Info On Windows XP x64)

In the early NT 4.0 days it was a real crapshoot finding drivers for all but the most mundane "office use" machines. Gamers could forget about it.

It will be interesting to see how fast MS and the hardware manufacturers can get up to speed with this new OS. I haven't felt the need to dual-boot for some time, but it looks like I'll be heading back in that direction.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited March 2005
    What is RTM short for?

Do you speculate Longhorn in 2006 being 64 bit?
    edited March 2005
    What is RTM short for?
    Released To Manufacturing
    Do you speculate Longhorn in 2006 being 64 bit?
    No. There are too many 32-Bit machines in use for MS to abandon that market.

You do raise an interesting question, though. WinXP was the convergence of the Win9x and NT lines. Will MS once again offer divergent OS's? At least for the short-term, it would appear that the answer is "yes".

If 64-Bit computing is truly the wave of the future (a fairly safe bet, I'd guess, now that Intel seems to have gotten in gear) then Longhorn may be one of the last 32-Bit Windows OS's.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited March 2005

Yes, ok. Thx.
    If 64-Bit computing is truly the wave of the future (a fairly safe bet, I'd guess, now that Intel seems to have gotten in gear) then Longhorn may be one of the last 32-Bit Windows OS's.

I'm getting goosebumps.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    I'm getting goosebumps.

When I think of microsoft... I get goosebumps too. Most due to fear...
    :p
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited March 2005
    profdlp wrote:

No. There are too many 32-Bit machines in use for MS to abandon that market.

You do raise an interesting question, though. WinXP was the convergence of the Win9x and NT lines. Will MS once again offer divergent OS's? At least for the short-term, it would appear that the answer is "yes".

I had actually presumed 'Longhorn' would be just 64-bit, but then again, I never really thought about it. And I keep forgetting Intel have only just started producing consumer level 64-bit capable chips, so there are still so many people out there still continuing to buy new PC's that are only 32-bit capable. (and no I hadn't forgotten about the Sempron's current role in keeping 32-bit alive) ;)

I imagine there will be a 64-bit version, but I hope that there is just one range of the Longhorn products that can either install a 64-bit or 32-bit version depending on the hardware, rather than having two separate purchases necessary.

But I have no idea what Microsoft are planning. I can't seem to find anymore information on this subject.
  • edited March 2005
    How much is XP 64 going to cost? Anyone know???
    edited March 2005
    Amerikes wrote:
    How much is XP 64 going to cost? Anyone know???
    I've heard rumors that it's going to be OEM only, though that would surprise me considering how many hobbyists have already built 64-Bit systems.

Another rumor has it that MS will be offering a trade-in program for existing users of WinXP. If true, that would be terrific.

If neither of those comes to pass, I'd expect it to follow MS's standard rate of approximately $100 for the upgrade version, $200 for the full version.

If the latest timetable holds, we ought to know for sure within a month. :)
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited April 2005
    QCH2002 wrote:
    When I think of microsoft... I get goosebumps too. Most due to fear...
    :p

I second that feeling
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    Thats all I have ever heard. OEM only. Meaning at this time MS does not want to invest anymore time in developing drivers or maintaining end user level support for the product. Your support must come from the OEM and they will be in charge of developing the needed 64bit drivers. So your gonna be calling HP/Compaq, Dell or whoever to get support or updated additional drivers

Tex
    profdlp wrote:
    I've heard rumors that it's going to be OEM only, though that would surprise me considering how many hobbyists have already built 64-Bit systems.

Another rumor has it that MS will be offering a trade-in program for existing users of WinXP. If true, that would be terrific.

If neither of those comes to pass, I'd expect it to follow MS's standard rate of approximately $100 for the upgrade version, $200 for the full version.

If the latest timetable holds, we ought to know for sure within a month. :)
  • edited April 2005
    no upgrade. if only oem, a clean install (unless you want to try it w/ the soon to be
    released demo). it looks like it will be the same price as the 32bit xp pro oem. i think
    i need some extra round cables...
  • edited April 2005
    our company has got a Universal MSDN Subscription, which gives us access to almost anything released by Microsoft. I noticed that there was a "Windows XP Professional x64" listed, not Beta, but actual full release version. Have downloaded it and burned the iso, will report back here when i've had a chance to install on my new 64bit machine.
  • edited April 2005
    Got x64 up and running. All drivers I had to load all worked fine. System is stable and FAST :)