Options

svchost.exe blocks my internet/Network connection

I think I've gotten some kind of virus but has not been able to find it. I've used Norton Antivirus, Pandascan, Adware and even used sites that seach thru my Hijack log so see if there is any suspicious, but nothing. My problem description
- a couple of instances of svchost.exe is running i taskmanager but no more that three or four of them
- It does not use up all my CPU, the usage is normal
- one svchost.exe uses more memory that the others and is used by the system (not me or local service)
- if I end this process my network/internet connection works for a few seconds untill the process starts up again by it self, so I can surf the net by constantly end the process.
But of course it affects my computer to turn of the process all the time (the sound stops working and some of the graphic elements , like the taskbar, start to look bad) If I, in these "turned-off-seconds" connect me to a hub in DC++ the connection stays even when the svchost.exe process starts upp. But I cant connect to a new hub if the svchost.exe process is running. I'm no computer scientist but have heard something about different ports you can use on the computer to make a network connection......?

Since I've haven't found any separate virus I'm curious if a virus can infect the svchost or if there is something wrong with the svchost itself?

system: Windows XP service pack2 firewall:syrgate free

Does anything of this make sense?
:)

Comments

• Buckeye_SamBuckeye_Sam Columbus, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Have you tried disabling your firewall?
  • edited April 2005
    Now I have tried :)
    When the firewall (syrgate free downloadable firewall) is on, I can't use the internet or any network connection (I didn't realise that the firewall might have been the the svchost.exe process I was closing down all the time)
    When I turn of the firewall (XPs own firewall is never on) the net works properly for a few second I think, then, every moment I try to connect, whether it is to a hub on DC or a website, it works the second time I try to connect.

Is this making sense or am I just imaging things?
    so weird... :confused:
  • Buckeye_SamBuckeye_Sam Columbus, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    You might try uninstalling Sygate completely, since it sounds like it's the problem. I'd recommend Zone Alarm(free edition) as an alternate firewall.