Removing a 9800 pro HS/F

ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
edited April 2005 in Hardware
well my machines 9800 pro fan has apparently taken up a second job crushing rocks. or at least thats what it sounds like. anyway i tried oiling it but that only worked for like 20 minutes. so i ordered a new hs/f for it, a Zalman VF700 ( http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-116&depa=0 )

now, before i go attacking my 9800 pro like a fat kid at a pie eating contest mmm pie. what do i need to do PROPERLY to get this ols hs off, i got the fan off but i dont wanna hurt the card trying to get those black things with barbs off, how do i get those to come off with the least destruction to the card?

Comments

• edited April 2005
    you took off the fan but left the h/s on the card? Okay well its been a while since I took off the original h/s of my card but if I remember correctly I used needle nose pliers to pinch the cone(on the bottom of the card) part so it could slip though the hole on the card. I did that for both side and it came off nicely.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Place the card facedown on your ESD-safe workbench. Squeeze the points of the barbs together with nonconductive forceps while pushing down. They should come off with moderate force. Flip card over, pull heatsink off.

-drasnor :fold:
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited April 2005
    thx diminion and drasnor, i got it off :D
  • edited April 2005
    For those with a 9800 Pro AIW, taking off the HSF is a bit different. The pins have alittle needle like object that needs to be pulled off from the top of the pin. Once this little needle is out you can go ahead and push the pin out from the back of the card. I've broken 3/4 pins on the 9800 Pro AIW, and the last one was when I found the needle, so trust me. :D