875 chipset mobo/can i use serial II controller

edited April 2005 in Hardware
hi ;D

i have an epox 4pca3+ [875 chip] mobo
i see this nice serial II controller
also says its pci compliant

The Addonics SATA II PCI-X RAID controller is one of the fastest SATA controllers in the market. Incorporating the latest SATA II ASIC from Silicon Image, the controller is designed to work with fast PCI-X BUS to ensure maximum data throughput of 3 Gbits/sec per port. The 4 drives attached to this controller can be configured as RAID 1, RAID 0, RAID 1+0, RAID 1+S or as 4 individual drives. With 4 drive configured as RAID 0, throughput up to 200 Mbytes/sec can be achieved using standard 7,000 RPM SATA hard drive (see benchmark test result below). Together with the Addonics optional Disk Array 4SA system, you can add high performance storage system rivaling the traditional SCSI storage at less than half of the cost.

SATA II compliant
PCI-X and PCI BUS compatible Up to 300 Mbytes/sec (3 Gbits/sec) per port
4 Internal Serial ATA ports
Work with any Serial ATA drive
Use as a non-RAID or RAID controller
Built-in RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 1+0, RAID 1+ S support
Support large hard drives of 137 GB or greater
Upgradable firmware
Fits standard Desktop case and low profile systems
Hot swap - device can be removed and added without system shut down or restart
simple plug and play
compatible with DOS, Windows 95, NT, 98SE, Me, 2000 and XP

can i use this will it run on pci bus at serial II speeds???? :scratch:

Comments

• edited April 2005
    If it's PCI bus compliant, yes you can use it as long as you've got a free PCI slot to put it in.

The fastest it'll burst at is 133mb/s because that's maxxed on the PCI bus, not likely any drive's going to give continuous reads near that high even in raid-0 so it should be fine.
  • edited April 2005
    hi
    thanks for answer
    im already using onboard hpt raid0 with 2x plus9 8mb ;D

i would need pci-x for serial II speeds? :scratch:
  • edited April 2005
    Yeah, the PCI-X bus has way more bandwidth although just because it's compatible doesn't mean it will run full speed on PCI-X...there was a problem a couple of years back with items being sold as "USB 2.0 compatible" that were actually USB 1.1 in terms of speed, they were USB 2.0 compatible thanks to it's backwards compatability.

PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI 2.1 and therefore will run 33mhx PCI devices but not at any speed faster than 33mhz. Check the controller's specs to see what speeds it will run, if only 33mhz then 133MB/s is the fastest rates it will put through the bus, no matter what bus it runs on.