Major problems

I am new to this site and I hope I'm in the right forum. I am a novice at using the computer but I would like to correct my problem myself using this site.. There is something on my computer that won't allow me to access the following: Help and Support, Adaware, Spybot, Microsoft Anti spy, and any other spyware detector. It also won't let me use highjack this. If there is software out there that could correct my problem I will get it but I would like to try myself. Thanks. I cannot access my e-mail now and the clock stopped last evening. Everything is running very slowly. I now cannot access add and remove programs. It seems my problem is getting worse by the minute. Please help. When I try do download Highjack this I get the message... The compressed (zipped) Folder is invalid or corrupted. The reason I have to download it is because the virus or whatever I have won't let me access this or any other spyware.

Comments

• Shadow2018Shadow2018 Northwest Missouri
    edited April 2005
    Boot up in safe mode by rebooting the computer and tapping the F8 button at the start up screen. This will allow you into safe mode and you should be able to access these programs from there.
  • A2IA2I
    edited April 2005
    Just run http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

tick clean automatic on run scan.

Its also good to end any process with ur winxp (if you got it :respect: ) run windows taskmanager and let only explorer with the scan run.

u can stop any process i f you like with ur username on it ,except explorer were you use to scan your pc online with.

you can also disable all startups temp.

with going to start\run: msconfig

If any problem occurs plz post.

ty.
  • edited April 2005
    Thank you Shadow2018 and A21. I tried to boot in safe mode and that didn't change anything. I ran housecall this morning and it didn't find anything. I bought PC-cillin but it won't install. When I try to use a spyware detector my taskbar becomes disabled and a black vertical line appears beside the start button. I have to use the task manager to end tasks and for shut down. I am able to to use internet explorer and surf the web without any problems. I am using my laptop to use my email as it is disabled on my desktop. As I mentioned I am a novice so I might be overlooking something very basic.Thanks again. Hard drive was heavily fragmented so I defragged and there was still an inch long red fragment showing. I watched the defragmentation and this large fragment was shifted quite a few times on the lines and even split up into two (end of one line and beginning of the next). Does this have anything to do with my problem? Also in my running process (gcasDtServ.exe) is always running. What is this program? When I shut down through task manager I get notices that a couple of programs are still running and to close them.I can't see that they are even running. Sorry to go on so long.
  • A2IA2I
    edited April 2005
    What windows your on? :aol:

did any cmd box open recently and start to run without your direct notice?

You said you bought PC-cillin did you mean you got TrendMicro Internet security v1.2 ?

Make sure you have no other virusscanner installed (doesnt let you install another then. thats why..) incase of a none removable old Norton ( old is 2003 < ) version do a search in google for Rnav2003 or NIS do a search on RnisUPG.

for windows XP try this command go to Start Run: sfc /scannow

gcasDtServ.exe is a process that runs for Ms Antispyware.

If you installed sp2 recently you can redeploy it with this version http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

Another program you can try to start is http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/index.html

before you remove something with STM just post if you dont know what the process is for.

Export the log post put the subject 1line whole (only ctrl-c ctrl-v is paste here) you want to quarantine.

you can also try Start > Run > msconfig [Disable all startups]

And see what you can manage from that point. [Its easy you enable all again if you think its all fixed.]

If any problem occurs plz post.

ty.
  • Shadow2018Shadow2018 Northwest Missouri
    edited April 2005
    If you are able to access safe mode then run hijack this and post a log of it. Make sure to open the hidden files and folders before running hijack this.
  • edited April 2005
    Things are starting to look a lot better. I redployed SP2 and It seemed to work. (I don't know how!) I have windows XP Home. When I shut down I always got the message that Microsoft AntiSpy had to close and it took a long time so I clicked end now so I wonder if that program was the culprit. I have since deleted it and installed Trend Micro PC-Cillin internet security 2005. While it was being installed it found a trojan. I'm at work now and can't remember what it was exactly but it was like Dluca. I also deleted Norton internet security 2004. It was great to learn the scannow and msconfig commands because I couldn't access help and support. Where can I learn about programs that are in my startup? I don't know which ones to enable. I haven't tried hijack this but will do so tonight. Will it still be helpfull? I'm not sure how to post the hijack this log. Thanks A21 and Shadow 2018.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2005
    How to run HJT and post a log:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172584&postcount=2

Please do that. HJT allows us to have a "snapshot" of startup items and common locations that hijacks, spyware, virii and trojans hide in.

Dexter...
  • edited April 2005
    I ran hijack this but I can't figure out how to post it in this forum. The amount of space to post the log is not enough. Please help.