Old HD

edited April 2005 in Hardware
ok well, just a quick question. i have an old 10gig hd (western digital caviar 102AA) and it has windows and other progs on it. i want to know, if i plug it in, once it recognises it as a drive, just select everything on the hd and delete it? because i want to use it as a hd just for music.
thanks

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    If I were you I would go into disk management and reformat it with ntfs. Go ahead and do the long format to so that it inspects the disk surface and locks out any bad sectors. If it was a new drive I would say just delete it. On a old drive this is a slightly better way to prepare it.

Tex
  • edited April 2005
    this might seem a stupid question but can i plug in the hd while my computer is running? or do i have to shut down?
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited April 2005
    shut it down before you install a new HD
  • redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited April 2005
    shut down, the drive is recognized on boot up. you may also want to set a small jumper from master to slave, depending on where you plug it in.
    edited April 2005
    Or better yet to CS or cable select so it won't matter where its plugged in.
    edited April 2005
    -=Dean=- wrote:
    this might seem a stupid question but can i plug in the hd while my computer is running? or do i have to shut down?

Ok you offically scared me on that post. And I don't as a rule scare easy either.

yes by all means take the 30 seconds to power it off completely. This is an important step.

Tex