AMD 4000 / OCZ 3200 maxed out ?

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Unless one of the OCZ gods can give me a tip I think I hit the wall on my processor. I am currently running at 2640 Mhz. See attached for memory timings. My bios is the latest 3/10.
OCZ 3200 platinum 2nd edition.
DFI Lanparty ultra-D

untitled.jpg

cpuz.JPG

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Hi Cal,

You need to lower the cpu multi before you can go higher on the memory.

Set the cpu multi to 9, ldt multi to 4 and the htt to 290 and you should have close to the same cpu speed, but a lot more memory bandwidth. We'll work on the timings later.

BTW, you must have a golden cpu there that does 2.6 at default vcore. I would give anything for such cpu.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    :thumbsup:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    Those 4000+ chips are usually pick of the litter, and for the most part, have some solid memory controllers (much more consistant than the winchesters). Did you have any luck with the settings Mackanz recommended?
  • edited April 2005
    I was able to run at 2730 but I had to up the FSB & CPU voltage to +1.66 volts. My CPU temps were in the upper 57~59c range. This was with a higher FSB, lower multi and increased voltage. Right now I am running 2640 (220X12) at 1.55 volts CPU. My ram is 2.5,3,3,5. The highest temp under prime95 load was 48c. My superpi 1M times was 31 seconds. It was also 31 seconds running at 2730. My ram bandwidth was better with the higher FSB but at the cost of more voltage & CPU heat.I am calling 2640 my sweet spot. A balance between speed and temperature. If my rig was in the basement (cooler) I would consider it but in July when it's hot out I do not want to be +60c.
    The OCZ memory is pretty amazing stuff. I will try to tighten the timings up some more.
    A 10% overclock that is prime stable for +24 hours, runs reasonably cool on air is not bad.

benchmarkamd4000oc.JPG
    edited April 2005
    Nice stuff. You shouldm however be able to use 10X265 or so at the same timings and voltage so your speed will increase a lot. Can you also take a screenshot of a a64 tweaker as well? There might be a lot of timings to improve things with.
  • edited April 2005
    OK,I will give it another whirl!
  • edited April 2005
    Whirl it I did and it does not like 265X10. At this setting superpi will error out and not finish.
    220X12 gives me a 6607/6571 bandwidth in sandra.
    265X10 gives me a 7363/7284 bandwidth in sandra but is not stable.

This was with the same voltages and timings as posted above.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    Cal, you may be stressing your memory controller out a bit with those tight timings. I know with my OCZ Rev.2, 265MHz is on the borderline stable at 2.5-3-3 timings. Give 2.5-4-3-7 a try, you may have better luck, and won't loose too much in your sandra bandwidth. Also, what memory voltage are you using? Give 2.8-2.9 volts a try. I would not be surprised if you can run 9x290MHz with 2.5-4-3-7 timings. If you find that unstable, you can even try 2.5-4-4-8, which is easier on the memory controller. But with 290MHz, the slightly looser timings do not outweigh the increase in frequency. I have been struggling for a quite a while trying to find a good balance of mem-frequncy and multiplier, however my winchester memory controller is rather poor, and I am limited to an 11x multi if I want 100% stability. I can do 305x8 without any problems at 2.5-4-3-6, however that only gets me about 2.4GHz. As soon as I start pushing the memory frequency past 250mhz with a 9x or 10x multi, I cant get the system stable. 10x260 works for me, but I have to use 2.5-4-4-8 timings, and it is still not 100% stable. HL2 deathmatch has been the ultimate stability test for me. I can prime overnight no problem, but I could not get through more than an hour or two of HL2 DM. :D

Good luck! You are far from the limits of your gear, keep pushing! :D Those 4000+ chips are usually pretty solid.
    edited April 2005
    Cal,

Start cpu-z and then run the A64 tweaker. Please post a screenie of the tweaker so i know what bios settings you use.

If you don't mind, i can help you through the bios settings through Skype if you use it.
    All you need is a headset or a microphone and the program Skype. Something is not right in your bios settings as 10X265 should be easy with your setup.
  • edited April 2005
    Mac-

You want me to email you a copy of my bios ?

I will get some tweaker screen shots up for you.
    edited April 2005
    No bios is needed. Just a shot of A64 tweaker will do just fine. :)
  • edited April 2005
    Tweaker-

tweak.jpg
    edited April 2005
    You should have no problem getting 265+ out of that memory at those settings.

Test it by dropping the cpu multi to 7 and set the htt at 265 and run memtest.