Whats a good DVD Authoring software?

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited March 2005 in Internet & Media
I have Ulead DVD Movie Factory. Its ok, but from what I can tell, it isn't compatible with MPEG4, thus I am trying to convert a few AVI movie files (mainly Anime TV series) to DVD, which are DiVX MPEG4 fast motion and also slow motion.

This software has quite a bit of trouble converting these files to MPEG1 so that they can be burned as DVD video. It will either introduce annoying audio problems to where the audio is out of sync with the video by as much as +/- 2 minutes, or it just wont convert them. I guess thats what I get for paying $48, and maybe I should give up on trying.

However, it has no problems with files that are already MPEG1 and 2, which is what the episodes of Star Trek Enterprise are that I have downloaded, and that they are around 450MB each for a 45 minute episode.

Anyone know a DVD authoring software than can handle the MPEG4 codec? What about Pinnacle Systems? Is there any other?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    DVD is MPEG2.

Use virtualdub to strip the audio in full-stream processing mode. Then use TMPGEnc with a DVD template to convert the video. Burn it with nero.

DVD authoring programs suck. Always will.

The instructions here are vague. Wait a few days and I'll be getting my XViD/DiVX to DVD tutorial online.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited September 2003
    How is Nero supposed to make a DVD video? I could never get it to work trying to make a DVD video disc.

That's why I bought Ulead DVD MovieFactory.

However, how complicated is it to do it the way you just suggested?
    edited September 2003
    Oh, and not only that converting DiVX MPEG4 to DVD bogs the system down with 100% CPU usage and takes forever, and Converting MPEG1 to DVD (which are what the Star Trek Enterprise episodes are) uses around 80% (no higher than 86%) CPU usage and is pretty quick in converting (since "Do not convert standard compliant MPEG files" is checked)
    edited September 2003
    MPEG 1 to MPEG 2 is as easy as rewriting the header of the file.

MPEG4 to MPEG2 is terribly terribly different. Without getting too complicated, the entire bitrate must be changed on both video and audio, as well as pixel information, stripping of MPEG4-only algorithms (VHF, Qpel, bframes), and a whole slew of other options.
    edited September 2003
    Is that why audio skips, jumps, and becomes non existant around at certain points in the AVI DiVX MPEG4 video files? Because of all of the stuff that is removed?
    edited September 2003
    No. That just means ULEAD sucks. ;D

Just give me a week to get my crap together and fire off the XViD/DiVX to DVD and all your problems shall be solved.
    edited September 2003
    I kind of figured that after going through about 10 DVD discs.

Is there any better software. I know that Pinnacle systems costs $100.
  • edited September 2003
    Dan, give Thrax the week he requires and he will be able to show you how to do it for free no doubt.

Go Thrax :)
    edited September 2003
    LOL, ok. I will.:D
    edited September 2003
    Coaster said
    Dan, give Thrax the week he requires and he will be able to show you how to do it for free no doubt.

Go Thrax :)

Thanks for the kind words mate. :D
  • edited September 2004
    Hello Dan I use vlan to convert (stream) DIVX (XVID) to mpeg format.
    Then i use Mainconcept Mpeg converter to convert it to dvd template.
    as Mpeg2 with separated video / audio option.
    so i get 2 seperate files 1 audio and 1 only video.
    Then i use DVD-Lab.
    The end result is super.
    No blocks what so ever.
    the only thing with converting is it can take up to 8 hours.
    but after converting having the 2 seperate streams dvd lab will have the dvd ready on the fly.

Hope this could help you for now
    PS i have pinnacle studio 8 and it sucks bigtime
    it can only use there own 3 codecs.
    mjpeg avi and dv
    non of them can even handle divx at all will crash the whole system.
    and like i said i use dvd lab to burn the dvd this program only does have the option to make a menu put your video and audio file in and write it as video_ts folder + vob's and ifo's to hard disk and you can burn it with nero or roxio.
    or if your burner works with the build in aspi driver it will burn it to the dvd.
    no fancy things on that software.
    but it does the job very good
    now non of the software is free but i could give the links to the software.
    i just don't know if i can post links.
    so i dont post them for now

And Go thrax :)
  • edited September 2004
    some free software to look at

IfoEdit (authoring software)
    Dvd Decrypter
    Dvd Shrink

Sareware, think its like $20
    Avi to VCD, Dvd Mpeg Converter

And My favorite
    Dr. Divx
    Those are not realy dvd authoring programs.

DVDLab is very very good
    or sony vegas video but then we are talking big time money.
    dvdLab will be about $99.00
    Please don't ask me how to get it for free we do not support hackers and crack coders
    Try Arcsoft ShowBiz 1.3
    with the most up to date xvid codec.
    that will convert all divx and xvid movies to dvd format and burn it to dvd.
    Http:\\www.arcsoft.com i use it alot and is very good in quality but slow

peace :Rocker:
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited September 2004
    Hey Thrax, hows that guide coming along? I'm eager to convert my downloaded TV episodes *cough pr0n cough* to DVD so I can watch them on my tv. :)

In all seriousness though I am looking forward to this guide as its something I really want to learn properly to do and start making decent use of the computer's power rather than just playing games on it.
  • Verbal-MinotaurVerbal-Minotaur westside
    edited March 2005
    hey ulead does suck! i converted avi to standard mpeg-2 using #1 video converter, the file size is 3.8GB. so i try burning it with ulead and it says that file size is like 5.8GB and it wont fit on my DVD. which sucks. any suggestions?
  • edited March 2005
    After going through this for a bit, this is what I do to get very nice results.

1) Produce in Winproducer3 and save to .avi file.

2) I then use DVD Complete Deluxe ( http://greatdealssoftware.com/dadvdcode.html) which I am finding is to be a COMPLETE DVD authoring program. It will take your onscreen menu design (completely configurable) and apply it to jacket, jewel case and disc cover designs!!!!! It will also take your .avi file and convert to DVD format , write the DVD with the menu etc....and voila!!!!!!! Your done. Check out the price on it also!

This is what I used to do:

1) Produce in Winproducer3, saving as .avi file.
    2) convert using TMPG to convert so colors stay perfectg
    3) convert to DVD format using DivxtoDVD software
    4) burn to disk with Nero.

This gives a disk that is playable , but with no menu...no lead in stuff, just the movie you produced in Winproducer3. It doesn't give you any menu's, jacket and jewel case prints and/or disk label.

Hope this helps someone!

Harry