Windows ME Question

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Hardware
OK... I'm really not a Windows ME kinda guy, but my customer is still living in the past.

System is BSOD randomly. So I get the system to try to diagnosis the problem. The problem is... it works for me.

Question --> Is there a system log or anything that would log the crashes?

And I already asked Thrax, so I already asked "the man" ;D (Thanks for listening Thrax)

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited April 2005
    theres no management under my com.....

man i take 2000/XP for granted lol
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    QCH2002 wrote:
    ...System is BSOD randomly...
    That's SOP for WinME...

I'd look into a new video driver as a start. Then I'd look into convincing your customer that you can't turn lead into gold, and that an upgrade would be in order. IMO, Win98se would be a step up from WinME.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I agree. If they are MARRIED to the win9x platform, 98SE is much more stable than ME.

Of course, i'm sure you started with hardware diagnosis and determined that ram is okay, right? :D

You CAN do a system restore on ME, but there's no such thing as an event log.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I'm looking at the video card right now.... The cooling fan fell off. Hmmmm... overheating video card? The PC needs to last until the end of May (college). Then I have advised them that WinXP is really the way to go.

I just got the PC this afternoon and haven't had a chance to run a full battery of tests yet. We'll see tomorrow...

Thanks for the info....
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Parts falling off? Yeah...well...just maybe... :vimp:
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited April 2005
    if its currently running ME, then that implys an older system id run 2k on it