Dual 1.4GHz Tualatins on Asus P2B-DS (dial-up beware)

drasnordrasnor Starship OperatorHawthorne, CA Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Hardware
My new SL5XL's came in the mail yesterday, so I knew the time had come to mod my P2B-DS. Credit for the mod goes to these guys but the amount of effort it took to do the mod means I get to write a thread about it ;). The first photo is of my workbench with everything I was going to need. I put the super-sharp conical tip on my Weller because we're going to be doing some surface mount resistor swapping.

The board on the left is Mr. Spare Parts-r-us, a dead MSI K7T Master with leaky caps. I removed a 4.7Kohm and a 10Kohm resistor from it for the Vdimm and FS3 mod described on the site. The Vdimm mod was pretty straightforward, just desolder the 5Kohm surface mount resistor from R50 and solder down the 4.7Kohm to raise the DIMM voltage up to 3.3V. The FS3 mod on the other hand...

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    The FS3 mod is hard. I had to solder a 10Kohm programming resistor onto the end of that yellow lead, heatshrink it, and then solder it to the edge of an existing surface mount resistor in position 99. redchief gets kudos for being the third hand during this part because there's no way that SMT resistor was going to sit still while I soldered it onto the end of a 24ga wire. Pulling the plastic base off the FS0-FS2 jumpers wasn't so hard, nor was wrapping wire around FS0 pin 1 and pin 3.

For its contributions, redchief's finger gets to be in the shot pointing at the finished product.
    edited April 2005
    Here it is on the testing stand. It's trying to complete memtest now, but that Kingmax memory really sucks. I think at least two out of the four modules I have are bad. I may just toss in some registered ECC PC133. That stuff never fails.

This mod was very educational in that I vastly improved my surface mount soldering skills. Hopefully with the extra speed this machine will provide enough power to overtake GHoodsum in the Folding standings by the 13th (my birthday).

-drasnor :fold:
    edited April 2005
    Eat your heart out, Geeky1 ;D

EDIT://
    (00:17:14) Geeky1: for the record
    (00:17:14) Geeky1: i hate you
    (00:17:24) drasnor: w00t
    (00:17:35) Geeky1: hatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehate you
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    oh man...soldering surface mount stuff sucks...our electromagnetic compatability made us do some for "poop"s and giggles. Mostly our "'poop's" and his "giggles".
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Guys, I don't mean to butt in on your thread, but The SMx Project has this same board (rev 1.06) and a pair of 1.266GHz Tualatins. Stock would be 9.5 X 133, but the jumpers only allow a multiplier of 8.0 max.

I looked at the site linked in post#1 (BTW: link has some extra html junk at the end - try: http://tipperlinne.com/p2bmod ) and saw a lot of info for raising the FSB, but couldn't find any multiplier mods.

I could jack up the FSB to 150 and live with the multiplier limitation, (150 X 8 = 1200, pretty close to the CPU's rated speed), but I'm not too sure the memory & PCI Bus is going to be too happy.

If you don't mind, I'd like to tag along in your thread. We want to get this baby Folding ASAP. :D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    IIRC, they're multiplier locked...that's likely why you can't find anything on it :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Yep. That would do it... :D

Thanks, shwaip.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Well, dras, you passed me quite handily now - so CONGRATS! Nice board! :D

:fold: