Inserting Relay for Eheim Pump.

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hey guys.

Just wanting to learn how to install a relay (?I think thats what it's called? :D ) onto my pump. Obviously the point of all this is to have the watercooling only running when PC is turned on.

Are there any mod guides out there? Or has anybody ever done one themsleves?

I've searched reasonably hard for a guide but no luck. :(

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited April 2005
    Sorry this could of gone in the modding section . My bad. :rolleyes:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I'll see what I can whip up for you. What's the pump #, btw? Do you know how to solder?

As for posting in the wrong section...don't worry. Someone'll move it if need be. :)
  • edited April 2005
    Thanks shwaip.

It's an Eheim 1048 and a Enermax 480W Coolergiant PSU. I have never soldered before but am learning via guides/forums.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    If it is like the one I got it is much simpler than it seems. It consists of a relay block with a molex coming off of it and a black wire and there is an 110vAC plug. The block would have 3 or 4 screw slots for attaching wires. You cut the AC cord of your pump and there are 3 wires inside, white/ black/ green. The green is a ground saftey that you need to attach a female spade connecter to and connect it to the middle prong of the AC plug. The white wire is the 'hot' power wire and gets a female spade connecter and connects directly to the AC plug as well. The black wire from the pump connects to the relay block (there is usually one for constant on and another for switched/ you want 'switched'). And the black wire coming fom the relay goes to the last remaining pin on the AC plug. Then connect the molex to any molex connecter coming off your PSU as that is where the relay gets the impulse to turn your pump on and off.
    edited April 2005
    Yea, the other thing I wanted to ask was:

Do you want to just install a kit, or build a relay circuit from parts?
  • edited April 2005
    Umm, considering I am in New Zealand and I haven't had time to search for any parts yet I am not sure.

What sort of kits are available? and how involved would it be to build one?
    edited April 2005
    The circuit for building one is easy, provided you can find the parts and know how to solder at all. Basically, you'd just need a relay, diode, and a way to safely attach them all together. Here's another link.... http://www.bit-tech.net/article/100/

A kit is really easy too:

http://www.pcextreme.biz/productdescription.asp?SKU=ex-pmp-07
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    I know that 'Criticool' makes some great PCI-Relay cards, that sense the PC is turned on via the PCI bus. Check them out at www.criticool.com .. I dont think they are very expensive either.. no soldering required..
    edited April 2005
    building a relay circuit should be less than $10 tho :)
  • edited April 2005
    Thanks ppl. That one on bit-tech looks the go (why couldn't I find it :scratch: ?). T

The PCI relay card looks pretty easy however I will be severely lacking space in the PCI slot department once all the gear is mounted, although they are not very big are they? Hmmm, I'll see what I can find at the local electronic shop and let you know.

:thumbsup: