Max Clawhammer temps & Volts ?

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Well I have been wading through the Bios on my new DFI Ultra D for about a week now. Mac helped me with my mem timmings and now it is time to see what it will really do. I got one of the 3500+ clawhammers they talked about here at Extreme Systems And I even got the favorabe stepping.
ADA3500EP4AS
CAA2C 0505 APMW
1213174B50017
I am using the 3/10 Bios on the Ultra D
2 x 512 OCZ pc4000 EL Gold DC
I can get the memory to pass memtest at 260fsb with 2.5 3 3 5 1T

I can run 260 x 10 @ 1.47 volts or 240 x 11 (2640 mhz) at same voltage.
But to get any higher I really have to start pouring on the juice. To get it prime stable at 2708mhz I had to up the cpu voltage to 1.66v

I am pretty happy with 2708 but I am greedy, I want more :) So how much voltage can the newcastles take ? What is too hot for 24/7 operation ( I have always used 50c as the limit )

With the memory divider set 9/10 it passed memtest at 280 fsb and booted into windows no problem at 2802mhz. It ran super pi 1m in 30 seconds 8m in 5min 35 seconds then it failed prime after about 20 min. and got up to 48C.

So the questions are, Should I try for more ? Be happy with the 2708 ? or back it down to 2640 to lower the voltage ?

Here is a screenie of where I am at now (with the exception of the HTT multi which is now set at 4x )

Let me know what you guys think, any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Be thankful you got a newcastle to 2.7. Quit while you're ahead.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I am Thankful !
    Just curious. Some guys in that post I linked to are geeting 2.8 2.9 and one guy got 3.0 on phase change.
    So what kind of voltage and temps will these cores tolerate?

Scott
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    Be thankful you got a newcastle to 2.7. Quit while you're ahead.
    Two things

1 It really is not a Newcastle it is a Clawhammer!!!

2 I am currently running my Winnie @ 250fsb = 2250 and it is cleanly beating the pants off of anything my old NF7-S and mobile XP were capeable of. So I would be happy enough to get the 2640 @ lower voltage. Greed will get you when you least expect it every time. So just trade me chips and be done with it!;)
    edited April 2005
    I had originaly loaded an older version of CPU-Z and it showed as a Clawhammer , the newer version reports it as a NewCastle. But the old version also lists it as a socket 754 ?
    So just trade me chips and be done with it!
    No :D

Scott
    s.JPG 94.7K
    edited April 2005
    Bump

For max voltages and temps

Scott
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    Hi Scott, as a general rule, 0.2V increase is considered 'okay' for A64 chips. So, about 1.7V should be considered a safe maximum. Anything above that, and you start to increase the risk of damage pretty quickly. A64's (clawhammers included) usually don't scale terribly well on voltage anyway. You'll find a pretty thick wall at a certain clock speed. My Winchester does 2.6GHz at stock vcore, but to get to 2.7, I have to up it to 1.6+ volts.

As far as temps, You'll want to be sure to keep them under 60 degrees. I personally don't like to see anything above 50. I believe 70 degrees is AMD's max die temperature listed for the clawhammers.

P.S. Just noticed you setup MBM5 with your DFI :thumbsup: Any tips? :D
    edited April 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    Hi Scott, as a general rule, 0.2V increase is considered 'okay' for A64 chips. So, about 1.7V should be considered a safe maximum. Anything above that, and you start to increase the risk of damage pretty quickly. A64's (clawhammers included) usually don't scale terribly well on voltage anyway. You'll find a pretty thick wall at a certain clock speed. My Winchester does 2.6GHz at stock vcore, but to get to 2.7, I have to up it to 1.6+ volts.

As far as temps, You'll want to be sure to keep them under 60 degrees. I personally don't like to see anything above 50. I believe 70 degrees is AMD's max die temperature listed for the clawhammers.

Thank You Sir ! just what I needed to know. Sounds like I have hit the same wall. I will leave it at 2708 for now , and scale it back to stock voltage at 2640 for the coming ( I hope ) warmer weather.

Thanks again

Scott
    edited April 2005
    Cross posting, missed the MBM ?

I followed this guide at DFI street and just pluged in his config file and it works great.

Read it here

Install MBM do not run the wizard. close it and browse to the folder and replace the config file with his. restart and VIOLA !

Scott
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    scott wrote:
    Cross posting, missed the MBM ?

I followed this guide at DFI street and just pluged in his config file and it works great.

Read it here

Install MBM do not run the wizard. close it and browse to the folder and replace the config file with his. restart and VIOLA !

Scott

Thanks for that Scott! I will give it a try.. No offense to DFI, but ITE Smartguardian has to be the worst looking piece of software I have ever seen in my entire life :D Not to mention, it's readings are all wrong.. so terrible looking, terrible performing.. no winners here lol..

I miss the good ol' MBM interface from my NF2, it will be nice to have it back

:thumbsup: