Endless Gmail Storage

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
On Friday, search titan Google doubled the storage available for users of its Gmail Web mail service.
Georges Harik, product management director for Gmail, said that, on the first anniversary of the service's launch, some very active users had begun to worry that the 1 gigabyte of storage that had seemed immense a year ago would soon be used up.

"We've had anxiety attacks as a few of the people who have been heavy Gmail users have been coming close to the limit," Harik said. "They've been asking us, 'what are you going to do?'"

The company determined, Harik said, that the right thing to do would be "to keep giving people more space forever."
Source: Internet News

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    WOW... I have been very diligent in cleaning my g-mail account. If not, 50 or 60 emails a day would sit. I still like folders though... In my "Managing Change" Course, my professor's favorite saying is... "Culture is the hardest thing to change."

I will always like folders in which I can segregate email, files, addresses, bills, etc..... oh well.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2005
    Same here, I would like folders as well.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Not me. I like the "archive/search" paradigm. I've got folder overload. I have hundreds of folders in my thunderbird inbox, and I'm just plain sick of it.
  • CrimguyCrimguy Cave Creek, AZ
    edited April 2005
    There are a few improvements IMHO. Better conversation grouping (doesn't work for forum notices from phpBB or SMF), and more importantly, the ability to have contact lists.

I gotta say that I like their method of email storage, but searching can be an issue if you don't know what to search for.
  • edited April 2005
    What I want it POP access to other e-mail accounts ala Yahoo Mail. Until they implement this feature (as well as folders), my GMail account will only be getting very limited use.
  • edited April 2005
    Who needs folders when you got labels??? The practical effect is the same...
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I like no store all emails dealing with school in one area and never look at them until I need them. I like organization based on segregation. Labels only allow sorting not out of sight organization.