RESOLVED: Computer is down, Please help!

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hey Everyone,
I need some help with my Mum's computer. Last night my brother was playing a game on the computer and was annoyed at how slow the computer was running, so he decided to change some settings in the Motherboard's BIOS. The Processor (AMD Athlon 2000+) was only running at 1250Mhz. The Motherboard is a GA-7N400S-L.

In the BIOS he started changing around the Memory Frequency to try to improve the CPU speed. This had no effect so he tried changing the FSB Frequency (From 100 to 166 or something). Now the computer doesnt start up. It turns on, seems to perform it's POST then stops and continually beeps long beeps (the manual says that this beep code is for a DRAM error)

I have tried clearing the CMOS and someone has suggested to me to perform a Master Reset on the motherboard to clear the BIOS, however I do not know how to do so on this current motherboard.

Any suggestions, advice, or links to other webpages that might help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
- TheDark12

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    if clearing the cmos didn't work then try this.

unplug the machine.
    pull the battery and let it set at least 20 mins.
    replace the battery and plug it back in and try and start it again.

Keep in touch as someone may have a better solution.

Hope it works for you!
  • edited April 2005
    I believe that method is what the manual said for clearing the CMOS, but I will try it again! Thanks for your help!
  • edited April 2005
    I had the battery out for about 45 minutes or so. Still didnt work. But thanks anyway.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have been told that I should try a "Master Reset". Does anyone know what this is or how to do it on this type of motherboard?

Thanks for your help.
  • edited April 2005
    Alright, so I disassembled the computer and then put it back together and it decides to work all of a sudden. Computers just seem to co-operate sometimes huh?
    Anyways, for anyone else that has this problem; try removing the RAM and replacing it, and also re-fit the graphics card. Helped me.

Thanks for the support
    - TheDark12
    edited April 2005
    :thumbsup: did you remove any dust bunnies as well?
  • edited April 2005
    Yeah, I reckon those dust bunnies get in there and screw everything up when you are on holidays or not looking or something...
    "Damn bunnies" *Grumble Grumble*
    edited April 2005
    yes the dust accumulates in the case and causes the components to overheat eventually. It's a good idea to clean it out now and then. Just keep a can of compressed air handy and blow it out about every month or so. I try and keep the habit of doing it each time I change my a/c filter.

That's not to say that reseating your ram and video card didn't actually solve your problem because I've had that happen as well. Even on brand new equipment!

Good luck! :thumbsup:
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited April 2005
    Good story with happy ending. Glad to hear your problem is fixed... ;D;D
  • edited April 2005
    Moral of the story is; keep your computer clean. I suppose if anyone else has problems with a computer that doesn't turn on, try cleaning it!
    Note: Compressed air is good, it blows dust out of small places and minimises build up of static electricity! Always a handy thing to keep around.
    ;) Thanks guys ;)
    edited April 2005
    sure thing! :thumbsup:
    Meanwhile you can spend a few moments browsing through this article written a while back on the subject! http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=122
  • edited April 2005
    Lol, thanks! Very entertaining, very cool (but EVIL!)
    edited April 2005
    the fur ball in the computer was larry's cat! ;D