Hard Drive Problem

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hello All.

I have a problem I have not come across before, and have searched for the result but found nothing.

I have an 80GB hard drive as a system drive and everything runs fine.

Added a new 160GB hard drive as storage and the computer will not power up. The case fan spins once then the PC shuts down.

I remove the power connector from the second drive and everything is fine again :confused:

I have a 400w power supply
1.8ghz p4
9200se 128mb video card
2 x Optical drives

Thanks for any help offered.

*I have just realised I have posted in wrong section. Mods, please accept apologies*

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    Hi NiX,

Double check to ensure that the ribbon cable is orientated the correct way. Some cables do not have the little 'notches' to ensure they are put in the correct way, so they can be reversed easily. The red stripe on the cable should be orientated the same way as your 80GB drive.

It sounds like it could also be a 'master/slave' configuration problem. Are you putting this drive on the same cable as your 80GB drive? (since you have 2 optical drives, I assume you are).. If this is the case, you'll have to set your 160GB drive as a 'slave' device. There are little jumpers next to the IDE connection that will allow you to choose. If you have the model number of your drive, we can help you set that as well, as not all drives have the same jumper settings.

Good luck! :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2005
    Yeah I have the jumpers set from the samsung website.
    h--p://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/support/Download/userguide/usersguide_02.htm

I have also double checke the cable, mine have the little notches so they can only go in one way.
    I took a 40GB slave out and tried it all with that back in and it works ok. I also tried setting the 160gb as a master and the same power down happened. I am really stumped!
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited April 2005
    You might want to post the specs from your power supply. It might not be able to handle the load. Cheaper, underpowered power supplies can cause more head scratching than you'd ever think possible and should be one of the first thing you check in a situation like this.
  • edited April 2005
    Sorry I am a little dense, where would I get the power supply specs?
    edited April 2005
    They are typically on the side of the power supply on a label on the side. They will state how many amps are available on each of the various circuits that the power supply gives. Like for example, +3.3V-40A, +5V-60A, +12V-25A, -5V-0.3A, etc. These that I've posted here are STRONG numbers, and I don't expect yours will be this high.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    Hi NiX,

Just another quick thought, what is your primary drive set to? Is it set to master or cable select?
  • edited April 2005
    Hi

The 80gb is set to master.

The power supply is an EZ-Cool ATX JSP
    DC = +3.3vdc +5vdc -5v +12 -12vdc +5vsb PSon Com POK
    Output = 26A 30A .05A 12A .08A 2.0A REMOTE RETURN PG
    edited April 2005
    OK, you've given us the voltages, but under those voltages are going to be the available amps for each one, as I posted above.

So +3.3vdc will have __ A(mps) associated with it. The amps/volts are what I want to see. Just like in my post above.
  • edited April 2005
    +3.3V 26A/ +5V 30A/ -5V 0.5A/ +12V 12A/ -12V 0.8A/ +5VSB 2.0A