AMD Athlon 64 CPU : Venice Core

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
Today AMD started shipping its Athlon 64 processors using the new E3 core revision also known under the codename Venice. This core brings into Athlon 64 processors such new features as SSE3 instructions support and higher core frequency potential.
AMD is going to announce the discontinue program for its Athlon 64 processors based on the cores manufactured with outdated production technologies beginning this April. Since the time the first Winchester based processor came out, the company engineers have done great work. They designed a new 90nm core aka Venice (E3 revision), which should send old 130nm cores to the garbage heap of history. Big hopes pinned upon the new core are based on the fact that AMD starts introducing new production standards used specifically for the Venice core.
Submitted by: csimon

Source: XbitLabs

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Unless I'm confused, a previous S-M News item warned that a BIOS update would almost surely be necessary for people wanting to drop these in an existing board.

If you're one of the lucky souls upgrading to one of these you might want to check it out before you yank out your existing CPU.
  • edited April 2005
    I wish I had one right now to throw into my EpoX board. It just takes a couple of minutes to flash a bios. :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    I mentioned it because a lot of people ran out and bought a new MB and a Winchester CPU when the Winnie first came out, then found that they needed a BIOS flash to get it to work. Lots of folks ended up paying the local computer shop $$$ to do it because they didn't have a compatible CPU (like a Newcastle core A64) handy to use during the flash.

I know this doesn't apply to you, Mudd. :D
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited April 2005
    is that the dual core cpu?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    How to Identify Venice and San Diego Cores:
    ADA####xx#BN = San Diego (Venice with more L2 Cache; 4000+ only so far)
    ADA####xx#BP = Venice