Music collection software

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited April 2005 in Internet & Media
Does anyone know of any software to manage music collections? I've got Tag & Rename, but it's a beast to do things folder by folder. What I'm looking for is something that can manipulate file names and ID3 tags across a bunch of folders. If it could output a list, that'd be great too, as the Winamp plugin for this blows. Also, whether this would be another program or not I don't care, but I need something that can delete files of a specific type in an entire dir/subdir. I have a lot of .sfv, .m3u, and .jpg files that I don't need at all, and that are wasting space.

As long as we're here, has anyone had any success with record-unwarping techniques? I found a site with a few different methods:

http://members.aol.com/clctrmania/cm-unwarp.html

If anyone has tried and succeded with any, please let me know :) Specifically the "Oven baking" or "Hot towel" methods, as they're the easiest :)

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to program a tool to search subdirectories and delete certain files. Unfortunately, all I know is VBA, so I'm not much help there.

For a single directory, you can just go to DOS and type del *.sfv (or whatever extension is buggin' ya). You'd need to do that for every directory though. You could also make a batch file with all the commands you'd need to delete every type of problem file, move it from folder to folder in windows, and run it each time. Might take awhile though.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2005
    So doing del *.sfv would only take care of one directory? It couldn't handle subdirectories?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    You could always search the entire HD for *.m3u etc, sort them by the folder they're in, then blow out whole bunches of them at one shot.

I have a program I use for my Old Time Radio shows that does batch renaming. It takes some doing to figure out, but has the advantage of being free. :p

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you a link. :)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    You could always search the entire HD for *.m3u etc, sort them by the folder they're in, then blow out whole bunches of them at one shot.

That's a good idea. You should be able to delete files from the "search for files" window. You could set it to only search your music folder (assuming you've got all your music in one root folder).
    entropy wrote:
    So doing del *.sfv would only take care of one directory? It couldn't handle subdirectories?

As far as I can remember, yes. And you'd need to change that for every other file type you wanted to get rid of, like

del *.jpg
    del *.m3u
    del *.txt

etc.

That's where a batch file comes in handy. You could list each command on it's own line in a text document, then change the file extension of that saved document from .txt to .bat, and you'd have something you could run. Although I think prof's idea is much easier/quicker. :thumbsup:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Zortam ID3 Tag Editor.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    It's funny, because my HCI class is trying to do something very similar to this...what would you guys WANT?
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Thrax wrote:
    Zortam ID3 Tag Editor.
    OMG, thank you thrax, this software rocks, just renamed my whole mp3 collection, before all the filenames are random numbers, now it's all nice and organized.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2005
    Good call, prof.

Thrax: Is that better than Tag & Rename?

As for a program, do you mean for deleting specific types of files or music sorting/editing stuff? For deleting, I'd like to be able to set the directory (and subdirs!), the file types, and just have it go. Searching works, but it'd be nicer to just run the program every now and then.