Internet Address System Poisoned

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
A new round of so-called "pharming" attacks is targeting the .com Internet domain, redirecting some Internet users who are looking for .com websites to Web pages controlled by the unknown attackers.
The SANS Institute's Internet Storm Center (ISC) issued a warning Thursday about the new attacks, which corrupt some DNS (domain name system) servers so that requests for .com sites sent to those servers connect users instead to websites maintained by the attackers.

News of the new attacks comes amid increasing reports of pharming scams, and statistics that show at least 1,300 Internet domains were redirected to compromised Web servers in a similar attack earlier in early March.

ISC advised network operators to block traffic to and from the IP addresses involved in the attack to stop the redirection.

DNS is a global network of computers that translates requests for reader-friendly Web domains, such as www.techworld.com, into the numeric IP addresses that machines on the Internet use to communicate.
Source: TechWorld

Comments

• CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    YIKES, I can't believe this is the first I've heard of this, it sounds like a major problem and I can see how it could be used to cause some serious damage.
  • edited April 2005
    I second that one.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Good grief.

This could make your typical virus problem look like nothing more than a mild annoyance. :eek3:
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    That's right. It's like science-fiction or at least approaching it. The idea that someone(s) could hi-jack the entire internet is, for the lack of a better word, wak.
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    This is a campaign from www.privacycash.com. Companies like this are taking advantage of people. It's not right.
    Advantages of selling security solutions over adult sites:
    There are more and more free adult sites on the net, that lowers down the conversions immensely
    More and more viruses on the net, consumers are freaked out about them
    Most internet surfers are desperately looking for a similar software solution, you might as well offer it to them and make your commission