My onboard video...

RiversCuomoRiversCuomo Missouri New
edited January 2006 in Hardware
I was in BIOS about a week ago and was looking through miscellaneous(sp?) things and saw an "Onboard Video" option, and had 1MB selected. I went in and changed it to 8MB, then i got scared and changed it back. Just wondering, what does changing that do? What will I see an improvement in if I see one at all? Will games run better(I know onboard video kicks ass and everything, i mean, why would u need to increase it?!) if i increase it?

Comments

• Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited April 2005
    No wonder you sleep in class.. go rest your eyes.

What that option changed was the amount of system RAM was given to the onboard video to use (since it doesn't have its own). Increasing it from 1 MB will most likely help but don't expect night/day. We learned this about 3 months ago.. :rolleyes:;D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    it depends ...are you actually using the onboard video or are you using a video card?

If you're using the onboard video then yeah you should see a performance increase in gaming. I'm assuming your onboard video uses your ram rather that having ram of it's own. So probably for every mb you issue to the video you will lose to the system.
    No big deal if you have plenty of ram though ...like at least 512mb if you run winxp.

So maybe list details about your cpu, mobo and ram and video card if you have one and someone can help better? :thumbsup:

Oh if you use a video card then the onboard video should be disabled in the bios.
  • edited January 2006
    Mind telling me exactly how you changed it and where you went to do so? I mean down to the wire details :P im not the bets on figuring things out
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    You'll need to hunt around in the BIOS. For a Dell machine you hit F12 (I think) as soon as the computer is turned on to get there.