Ram on chaintech spt800 motherboard

edited April 2005 in Hardware
ok, i know a bit about computers in general, but im certainly no expert. im going to try to explain my problem in as much detail as possible. I bought a chaintech spt800 motherboard, this one. I bought a p4 3.4 ghz intel processor, but i dont think that matters. The RAM i bought was a gig, two 512 sticks of this. My system keeps locking up with this, the only thing that i can find is the compatability listed for my motherboard and this (elixir) ram is CL2.5 while my ram reads CL3. Any help on suggested bios settings or any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: i forgot to say that I ran a diagnostic test that was reccomended, and my new RAM fails the LRAND section of the diagnostic consistently

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited April 2005
    If you ran Memtest and the ram failed and you just got it....rma it and get some stuff that works. You'll be very glad you did it now instead of fighting it for a month!!
  • edited April 2005
    the test i ran was called windows diagnostic i believe. Does this mean the ram is bad? i find it kind of hard to believe that i got two bad sticks.
  • edited April 2005
    Elixer ram is not good, I keep ranting about it, no-one seems to listen but this goes to show I'm not just blowing smoke.

Spawn, do yourself a favor and if you bought the ram locally take it back, return it and tell them you want ram without Elixer chips on it, Elixer is horrible ram, get Infineon, Micron, Samsung or Hynix. All those are good chip makers although the Infineon won't OC as well as the others at least it will be stable at it's rated speed.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    Im goian have to add avoid Infineon to that. My record with Infinion is bad. I havent had one stick with infinion ic's live more then 3 months.
  • edited April 2005
    My sister's PC has a 512MB Infineon stick in it that's been running stably for well over 2 years and the shop I used to work at has sold literally tons of ram with Infineon chips on it and had a very low return rate...wtf are you doing to your ram?? ;D

I dunno about Infineon but I've seen really bad things with the Elixer branded chips, over 50% failure rate out of the package for nearly 200 sticks that came through while I was working there, that's just purely unacceptable in my book.

Luckily for our customers we took the time to test every Elixer branded stick we got after the first dozen returns so we at least made certain the ones we sold were good. :thumbsup: