Feds Crack 128 Bit WEP In Three Minutes

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
At a recent ISSA (Information Systems Security Association) meeting in Los Angeles, a team of FBI agents demonstrated current WEP-cracking techniques and broke a 128 bit WEP key in about three minutes.
At a recent ISSA (Information Systems Security Association) meeting in Los Angeles, a team of FBI agents demonstrated current WEP-cracking techniques and broke a 128 bit WEP key in about three minutes. Special Agent Geoff Bickers ran the Powerpoint presentation and explained the attack, while the other agents (who did not want to be named or photographed) did the dirty work of sniffing wireless traffic and breaking the WEP keys.
Source: Tom's Hardware Guide

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2005
    Holy crap... :eek:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    WHEEEEE :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Some 13 year olds could probably do it in 2 minutes ;D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Are you sure the FBI didn't get its 128 own WEP by a 13 yr old? I cannot believe the FBI can crack it's own WEP Code. ;D
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I'm going to use this often when telling people how much WEP sucks.

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited April 2005
    I knew it sucked and was under the belief it could be cracked with a lot more time and effort involved than this. So much for that assumption. Good thing I have mac address filters in place as a second line of defense. I'll have to look into a firmware upgrade to see if mine is wpa upgradeable.