Need a nice monitor

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Mine takes up my whole desk! Its a dell monitor.

Can you guys hook me up with a flat monitor?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    www.newegg.com is your friend.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    do you want analog or dvi digital or the combination to use both?
    How much do you want to spend and how big?

off the top of my head if I needed a new monitor tomorrow I'd buy this one.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=24-001-186&DEPA=1

In the past 3 months I've bought (and been reimbursed) 3 monitors for clients ...2 910t's and 1 192t. I just love samsung 19" dvi lcd monitors.
    Before this year ago I was paying about $150 more per monitor because they were prefered!
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited April 2005
    cheapest flat monitor I can find
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Bubbleman wrote:
    cheapest flat monitor I can find
    That would not be a good thing!
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited April 2005
    How about this:

http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage.asp?AuctionId=10344435

I've got 4 Sceptre 19" monitors now and have had them for 2 years. I paid almost $500.00 each for them and thought it was a damn good price back then and I bought them from the same place as the link. They're about the cheapest 19" analog/DVI monitors out there and they are pretty nice to look at, too!
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited April 2005
    I don't mean to sound harsh, but you need to stop posting these "help me find" posts where you don't give a price range or do ANY research beforehand. Don't make other people do all the work for you
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Not to jack the thread or anything, but can someone answer some questions I have as far as flat panel monitors and their specs. This thread is just as good as any, so I'll do it in here rather than make my own. If I'm gaming, what ELSE should I be looking for other than the response rate:

What is the range of response that is acceptable for gaming (12ms-20ms?)
    What does contrast ratio mean?
    What type of inputs should I be concerned with?

From what I'm gathering, the native resolution can make or break your machine, as well. Framerates suffer if its more than your videocard can handle, and there's no way to adjust it so that it can go down from say 1280 to 1024, just for gaming?

From what I've seen so far, I'm very confused. [H]ardforums LOVE the Hyundai Imagequest 90d+, but c-net hates it. Tom's hardware guide recommended the best all around gaming/work LCD monitor to be the Samsung 710N, which, I must admit, is very appealing, and c-net tends to agree.

So, in addition to the questions I've asked, can someone with an LCD who games tell me what to expect, I don't want to go 250-400$ deep and realize that what I've done was make a very expensive mistake. And can you recommend a gaming monitor as well. Thanks for your time guys, I appreciate it.
    edited April 2005
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Not to jack the thread or anything, but can someone answer some questions I have as far as flat panel monitors and their specs. This thread is just as good as any, so I'll do it in here rather than make my own. If I'm gaming, what ELSE should I be looking for other than the response rate:

What is the range of response that is acceptable for gaming (12ms-20ms?)
    What does contrast ratio mean?
    What type of inputs should I be concerned with?

From what I'm gathering, the native resolution can make or break your machine, as well. Framerates suffer if its more than your videocard can handle, and there's no way to adjust it so that it can go down from say 1280 to 1024, just for gaming?

From what I've seen so far, I'm very confused. [H]ardforums LOVE the Hyundai Imagequest 90d+, but c-net hates it. Tom's hardware guide recommended the best all around gaming/work LCD monitor to be the Samsung 710N, which, I must admit, is very appealing, and c-net tends to agree.

So, in addition to the questions I've asked, can someone with an LCD who games tell me what to expect, I don't want to go 250-400$ deep and realize that what I've done was make a very expensive mistake. And can you recommend a gaming monitor as well. Thanks for your time guys, I appreciate it.

1 - Response Rates ) different people will tell you different things about what response rates are acceptable for gaming, my opinion is that anything 16ms or less will suit you fine.

2 - Contrast Ratios ) higher contrast ratios mean brighter screens. this is really something you want, because dull colors are something you usually try to avoid in a display (since again, quality is reduced)

3 - Inputs ) DVI is a digital output, images will look sharper and the colors will look richer. get this if you can, although its not like analog is THAT much different

4 - Recommendations ) I have found the 710T and 710N to be excellent monitors, so I would agree with Tom's on that front. I would probably recommend the 710T over the 710N, just because I like DVI over Analog... but there is a price you pay for the improvement. I use a Dell 2001FP all the time, that monitor is EXCELLENT and gets my recommendation for the top pick, although it could stand to have a higher contrast ratio

5 - Resolutions ) resolutions can be lowered for gaming, it just may not look as good as it would have at its native res
    edited April 2005
    I appreciate the quick response, Baron.

Can resolutions be pushed further than the native? I.E. Can I get 1600x1200 on a 710N?

And anyone else with experience want to try to knock the Samsung monitor from the throne I'm giving it? :)

Edit: What would be some respectable rates for the contrast ratios? >500:1?
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited April 2005
    If you do any type of gaming...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-171&depa=1

12ms response time... I have to recommend samsung. They have some kick butt monitors and lcd's. Remember though if you game you need a low response time.

they also have a 19" with an 8ms time...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-185&depa=1

Not sure what your budget is? I am sure we can hook you up however.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited April 2005
    Dell 2005FPW is an awesome monitor. You can find them for >$500 if you know where to look.
    edited April 2005
    Sorry for all the help me topics. :(
    edited April 2005
    My budget is something for 200 or less. That 12ms response time looks good. I need a monitor for gaming.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited April 2005
    200 or less wont get you a 12ms lcd at 17"

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-174&depa=0

thats the closest you will get. 16ms does ok but expect some haloing when playing faster paced games.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited April 2005
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10391408&spf=1&sp=1

$229 (was $200 yesterday) 17" Acer LCD w/ 12ms response.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Bubbleman wrote:
    Sorry for all the help me topics. :(
    No need to be "sorry". :)

Everyone here will be more than happy to help you out. It just makes it a little easier to be more specific about what you want and what you're willing to pay.

If you worked in a clothing store and someone walked in and said "Hey, I need some new duds to wear next week" you might end up spending a lot of time and effort figuring out what he was after. If the same guy came in and said he needed a new suit for his friend's wedding and had $200 to spend you could easily point him in the right direction.
    :wave:
  • FreshyPFreshyP Don Cheadle Cyberspace Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    ok man im :confused: now what is going on
    edited April 2005
    FreshyP wrote:
    ok man im :confused: now what is going on
    Bubbleman wants a new monitor that doesn't fill up his whole desk.

Any ideas? :)
  • FreshyPFreshyP Don Cheadle Cyberspace Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    what are we working on hardware
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    does this board requires the user to be at least 13??? :D
    edited April 2005
    leishi85 wrote:
    does this board requires the user to be at least 13??? :D
    Obviously not. You're here. :Pwned:

(I'm kidding you, buddy :respect: -->Leishi )
    edited April 2005
    Dam monitors are so expensive X_X

I wonder if there cheaper on ebay.... *looks*
    edited April 2005
    Something tells me it would be more worthwhile to stick to online or physical retailers, rather than e-bay.

I can't find much on that Acer that was linked, how does it compare to other models within that performance and price range (Samsung 710N.)
    edited April 2005
    FormFactor wrote:
    Dell 2005FPW is an awesome monitor. You can find them for >$500 if you know where to look.

I'm not sure whether you were directing this at NiGHTS or BubbleMan, but if it was at NiGHTS then I need to add my input that in my opinion this monitor is not suitable to gaming due to the stretching that it applies to most games, since they don't fit its dimensions
    edited April 2005
    Yeah I picked up on that, I wouldn't go that direction anyway.