The SMx Project - Reloaded!

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited June 2005 in Folding@Home
News Update: The SMx Project

Good news, Team 93 - The SMx Project is on the move!

:celebrate

As many of you may already know, I have recently assumed the title of Parts Manager for the SMX Project. The main responsibilities of this job are to:

A) Receive and catalog parts donations
B) Assemble and test prospective SMx computers
C) Ship the computer to a host (Selected by the SMx Committee)

Last week I received several shipments of parts which had previously been donated to the project. I am quite pleased to announce that we have not one, but two assembled rigs undergoing the testing and burn-in process. Both machines are Folding 24/7 for Team 93 at this very moment and we will be putting out a call for hosts in the near future. :D

Please do not sign up in this (or any other) thread at this time! We will post an official signup thread once we are sure that the machines are stable, reliable, and ready to put up some serious points for this great cause. If all goes well (cross your fingers!) this could be as early as next week.

What can you do to help?

To make this endeavor work like we all want it to, we need three things:

1) Enough computer part donations to keep the assembly line rolling
2) Monetary donations to cover things like shipping
3) Qualified team members willing to host the rigs

If you have any spare parts you could donate to the SMx Project, they would be much appreciated. Right now, our most critical needs are CPU's (1GHz minimum, SSE preferred), MB's capable of handling a CPU of 1GHz (or more!), and RAM (PC1600 minimum). Arrangements may be made by sending me a Private Message. Look for a new thread soon with more specific information regarding parts we need right away.

Cash donations may be made to Short-Media co-owner primesuspect. Every cent you give goes directly to the SMx Project - there are no "overhead" costs. The money will be used to pay the expense of shipping the completed rigs to their new host, getting replacement parts to an existing host should it become necessary, and buying parts to fill gaps in our current inventory. For instance, if we have a rig all ready to go except for a stick of RAM, we'll buy the part we need so the computer can be sent to a host and begin Folding for Team 93 immediately.

If you meet the requirements for hosting an SMx computer (found at The SMx Project page under "Hosting Requirements"), why not consider giving one of Team 93's computers a good home? Right now we have nearly two dozen teammates serving as "Foster Parents" for our team's computers. If we can get things going full speed we are going to need many more. In order to meet this anticipated need, we will no longer restrict hosting requirements to North America alone. As long as there is enough money in the SMx Fund to cover shipping -

The SMx Project Is Going Global! :ukflag: :ausflag: :welshflag :sweflag: :canflag: :usflag:

PS: A Sneak Preview is available here!!!!!!!

Stay tuned for updated information! :thumbsup::fold:

Comments

• floontfloont Texas
    edited April 2005
    Teriffic news Prof. I need to look around and see what I can scrounge up.
    Good work and let me know if you need anything specific.

Fold on Team 93!

floont
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    global? crazy talk! :eek2::D

Let's get those parts a' flowing! :rockon:
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited April 2005
    Hey prof thats great news, I would also add that last year a call went out for spare parts in the UK, with a view to building another UK/Europe SMx box. so it might be an idea to contact Necropolis UK to see where we are with that. If more parts are needed then I maybe able to help & it'll reduce shipping costs further if one can be built & shipped this side of the pond.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited April 2005
    global? crazy talk! :eek2::D

Let's get those parts a' flowing! :rockon:

Should that not read:

Let's get those parts a' rowing! ;D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    The SMx fund is very strong right now. We are going to be able to ship SMx rigs anywhere in the world. So all you people outside of the USA who've thought about how cool it would be to host an SMx rig should consider putting your name in the hat. I know that dually is going to be sweet.

All financial donations can go to accounts@ this site's address (you know, short-media.com) for paypal or snailmailed to:

ShortMedia LLC
    attn: SMX
    1401 W Girard Avenue
    Madison Heights, MI 48071

I'd like to publically thank profdlp for really going gung-ho as the SMx parts manager. Thanks, prof! :thumbsup:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I agree w/ Prime-ister... Great job taking the Parts Manager thing and getting it on track. :thumbsup:

What a great guy...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Jimborae wrote:
    ...it'll reduce shipping costs further if one can be built & shipped this side of the pond.
    Absolutely. :ukflag:

One part of our strategy is to save on shipping by having the case delivered directly to the host from a place like Newegg. If a team member has a case to donate we're going to have them ship it directly, too. Anything any of you can do to get a local project going will be a great help. We'll fill any gaps in computer part needs as necessary.

Think Globally - Act Locally!

dragonV8 wrote:
    Should that not read: Let's get those parts a' rowing! ;D
    Or maybe even a'flying! :D
    Assuming we have volunteers for hosting, there's no reason to believe we won't see SMx_Aussie at some point in the not-too-distant future. :ausflag:

...I know that dually is going to be sweet...
    Going to be? - it already is! :woowoo:
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Sweeet, nice job getting the rigs folding already prof! :eek:

How many rigs can be built, shipped and folding by the New Year.? 7, 8, 9?? :vimp:

Like Steve said, we need your support in adding to & maintaining this special Team initiative. We require you, a member of Team Short-Media, to throw your name in the hat to host a SMx rig. We also ask for unused computer components that are sitting in the box below or beside your desk and monetary donations if possible to continue this tradition ultimately supporting a most worthy and noble effort that is the Folding@Home Project.

Let's get this going!
    edited April 2005
    TBonZ wrote:
    ...We also ask for unused computer components that are sitting in the box below or beside your desk and monetary donations if possible to continue this tradition ultimately supporting a most worthy and noble effort that is the Folding@Home Project...

Let's get this going!
    You said it! Check it out here.

We'll build as many new SMx rigs as we have parts for. It's up to you to make it happen, Team 93. :thumbsup::fold:
    edited April 2005
    Help! Parts Are Needed For The SMx Project to keep things rolling - please send me a PM for more info. :)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Sooo I said I was gonna send that RAM - and I never did. It found its way into my dad's pc to fix ram-related problems.

This is kind of a bump...what parts do we need for the next rig?
    edited June 2005
    We could use a couple of socket 462 HSF's. AMD OEM would be fine. Any of you folks who have upgraded and have a spare lying around could really help us out.

We also have a Socket 478 (P4) board in need of a CPU and HSF.

Good (as in "test them before wasting money on postage") HD's will help. 2GB and up, please, as most hosts are not quite ready to tangle with a Linux console OS.

Any decent MB (socket 462 or better) would help.

We still have some dough in the SMx Fund which we intend to use for shipping completed rigs, purchasing Case/PSU combos to be shipped directly to the host, and to complete rigs when we are lacking but one part. The three critical needs for a rig are RAM, MB, and CPU; we can generally fill in the rest (HSF and HD) from there. If we have two out of the three we'll spring for the third out of the SMx Fund to get the rig Folding.

Look for a "Thank You" thread soon for several members who have recently donated items - we're going to be announcing a new rig very soon. :D
    edited June 2005
    I've got some stuff that I don't really want to pay for shipping on (nf2 462 mobo, a couple 462 HSFs, An MP1700, maybe that 512MB RAM, 128 MB PC2100, a couple decent sized HDs I need to test, a video card, generic PS) that I was planning on giving to you at the LAN party.

The mobo, 1700, a hsf, 128 ram and video card are currently in a project I'm futzing around with, but if some of the other stuff is needed to finish a rig, let me know and I'll ship that out.
    edited June 2005
    Picking it up at the LAN would be fine. No sense in spending money on shipping just to get things here a couple weeks earlier. We have enough parts on hand to keep me busy until then, anyway. (That's a hint, folks - look for a new rig to be announced soon!)

You did give me an idea, though. :cool:
    edited June 2005
    yeah - due to a suddenly dead mobo and unscheduled upgrade to my dad's computer, the mobo will likely not be coming (another may be, if I can fix it) and the 1700 just became a 1500+ :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2005
    I think my friend might have a 1.6 P4 from an old Dell. I could possibly get it from him and donate it.
    edited June 2005
    Bring it, baby, bring it!

/me is fired up. :D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2005
    I will try to remember to ask him today at work if I see him.