USB ports not working at all

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Ok. My brother got this new camera for confirmation. He installed the software (PhotoStitch) and rebooted. When he plugged in the camera (a Canon), nothing happened. It wouldn't ding or try to recognize the device. It just... sat there. He tried some other USB devices - flash drive, my camera, mp3 player... nothing. The mp3 player says "Connecting..." then "Connected!" but Windows won't show it, and won't make any move like it knows it's there.

The weird part is that you say, "Well, maybe some driver or something in Windows got fried." Nope. He formatted, reinstalled XP, and it still won't "see" anything. He even tried Repair Install on a fresh install, to no avail.

What he thinks happened is that a static shock from the camera travelled into the USB cables, and worked it's way through the motherboard. But it fried the front ones - connected via cable - and also the onboard ones. I don't think so, but I guess you never know.

Speaking of shock, he's got a lot of problems with it. When he walks around his room, then touches his case, his computer just... stops responding. Doesn't reboot, but everything just goes black and stops. That is NOT normal, since the case should be properly grounded, correct? I think he's got a standoff missing or in the wrong place or something, which might explain the USB thing. Think they're related at all?

This is really frustrating to him, and to us too, since it pisses him off so much. Any help would really be appreciated :)

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I had this happen with one of my USB ports on my laptop. One of my USB ports is now dead, as is the device that was in it at the time it fried (128mb USB Pen Drive). Not much you can do, that I know of...

Only thing I can suggest is...new USB?
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited April 2005
    has he verified that all usb options are enabled in the bios?

Also make sure that you are not plugging USB 2.0 devices into 1.1 slots. Sometimes the things will work. More often than not, you will have issues as 2.0 power requirements from the socket are higher than 1.1 can handle.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2005
    Yeah, everything is enabled in BIOS. And as for new USB... he can't. ALL his USB ports are dead. Even the ones not physically part of the motherboard.