XP won't start. Config.sys is missing or corrupt. Pls Help!

edited January 2010 in Hardware
Dear Members/administrators,

I've been experiencing a major problem with Windows XP, and want to fix the problem correctly which is why I post here, as i've found this to be the best help forum around.

Since a few days, my OS has been refusing to start, going straight to the screen which asks which configuration you'd like to start windows with i.e. the F8 bypass.

Then, when I try to 'start windows normally', or from 'The last Known good configuration', or in 'Safe Mode', 9 times out of ten, it results in a BOS of death which says

STOP: C0000218 {Registry file failure}
The Registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32|Config\SOFTWARE or it's log or alternate.

It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

I tried a repair with my XP disc, but couldn't seem to get the screen up which asks for 'r' if you want to repair, thought, with the disc in the drive, on one occasion windows did boot, i got a message saying something had been repaired, but then the same problem happened again, when I tried to boot up the pc the next day.

I also noticed that Config.sys had automatically set itself to start in selective startup, when i went in to have a quick look.

As far as i am aware i have not implemented any software or hardware changes recently, which is what most microsoft help documents indicated the problem is.

What do i do? and how do I get to the screen to repair the file with my original XP disc? I am at a loss, and am scared to turn my pc off, in case i can't start it up again.

Any help would be a god send

THanks for reading
Keira

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited April 2005
    boot from the cd...

You may need to set the boot sequence in the bios. Most systems you can access the bios by hitting the delete key during the initial startup, most often your screen will be dark during this process, just hit del several times, it should take you to the bios. The boot order is generally found under the boot menu. Using the + - keys you can move the order. Make sure that the cd or dvd rom, which ever you may have is listed first. Once this is set hit F10, select yes, and the system will restart, you should have the xp cd in as it should immediatley try booting from the cd.

Now if it boots from the cd...

let it go. It will get to a point where it will ask you if you would like to install a fresh copy or repair your current install. You want to repair your current installation. Dont let it confuse you. During the early setup process it will give you an option to F2 to run system repair, this is not what you want. Be patient it will stop automatically at the screen that you want. Until then, sit back, grab a soda and relax.

If it does not...

post back. Keep notes on what it does and says exactly and we will help you.

It however is not entirely out the realm of possibility that you have a drive that is failing or even some ram that is bad. I would also suggest before attempting the repair to download memtest from the downloads page here and run it, I would also download diagnostic software from your hard drive makers web site and run diagnostics on your hard drive.

Let us know...
  • edited April 2005
    Thanks Gobbles,

I'm trying your solution, but am running into a problem when trying to access the bios. i first tried hitting delete repetitively, and then consulted google to see if my machine may have an alternate key, which told me packard bell's is f2 or f1, so i tried that, but have had no luck.

What am i missing? I have a packard bell le diva, Win XP home, SP2.

Thanks again
    edited April 2005
    power the machine on. Immediately start alternating between F1 and F2, it should take you into the bios. Sometimes it tricky.
  • edited April 2005
    Right, I got onto the bios screen, and followed the instructions up to hitting F10, and yes.

Then, it rebooted, and asked 'press any key to boot from cd', which I did.

Then onto a blue Windows Setup screen, whilst 'setup is loading files'. Next, it says, 'Setup is starting windows', and then goes onto another blue screen saying 'Welcome to setup'. Within this screen there are 3 options...

1. To setup Win XP press enter
    2. To Repair a Win Xp Installation using Recovery Console press R
    3. To quit setup press F3

I pressed R, and it took me to a DOS command prompt, which asks which windows system i'd like to log on with. Of course, I have only one option, which was C:\Windows, so I chose that one. It asked for an administrative password, which I knew there wasn't one, so entered that, and it gave me a C:\WINDOWS DOS prompt.

I typed help to see what commands there were, of which there were about 25 ish, but non specifying repairation, only a chkdsk.

Did I not follow instructions correctly, to end up at this point? Or should I have
    chosen Option 1. from the setup screen, and then done a repair.. :confused:

Thanks again gobbles(!)
    edited April 2005
    Option 1. Setup windows

then it should give you an option to run a repair. It appears where you can setup your hard drive partitions.

It will give you several options. Clean install repair install and one other I believe. You want to do a repair installation.
  • edited May 2007
    After you press "R" you will get the prompt to choose which Windows to run.

Hit #1. this will take yo to a "C" prompt again.

Type chkdsk (V) R and enter. (V) = space. So, chkdsk space / R enter.

The repair will run.
  • edited May 2007
    After you enter "R" you get a "C" prompt.

Type chkdsk /R. Note there is a space after chkdsk then /R.

The repair function will run and repair the config.sys.
  • edited January 2008
    I enter 'R'..then get blue screen error..
  • edited January 2009
    mine said there appear to at least 1 unrecoverable error now waht
  • edited January 2009
    Hey i got the same problem as you but I cant repair my laptop at all. it wont go to the recovery thing
  • edited December 2009
    or use fixboot command in same command promt window as above, if chkdsk /r does not help.
  • edited January 2010
    I thought XP now used msconfig.exe replacing the old config.sys!You might try that.Otherwise,why not just go into the registry and delete the 'Run' which references '\SystemRoot\System32|Config\SOFTWARE'? I have no such entry in my registry.Make a copy of the entry first.
  • Hello,Sir

You Need A Windows® XP Installation Disc.

What Should You To Do?

If You Dont know How To Boot From The Bios (CD-DVD) See This Guide:
    http://www.hiren.info/pages/bios-boot-cdrom

After This You Will Get The Windows® Installation Screen.

There Are 3 Options That You Can Use:

1.To Setup Windows® Now, Press Enter.
    2.To Repair Windows® XP Installation Using Recovery Console, Press "R".
    3.To Quit Setup Without Installing Windows® XP Press F3.

You Need To Change The Option 2.
    "To Repair Windows® XP Using Recovery Console.."
    Then Press "R".

The Recovery Console Screen Will Appear.

1.Now Type "1" To Start Using The Recovery Console.
    2.If you have An administrator Password Type It.
    3.Now Type The Following Lines:

md tmp
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\default