F@H as "service" on Mac?

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Folding@Home
Anyone know how to do this? I found two seemingly relevant threads on the Community forums about it, but they're talking about stuff over my head - I'm a total Mac and Linux n00b.

http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=11585
http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?t=2283

Any thoughts on making F@H work all the time on a Mac from bootup?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    It's simple, but I use the graphical client.

You just go to System Preferences, "accounts", pick the account, click "startup items" and then literally drag the F@H icon (the green and red cog) to the startup items.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Thanks, I'll try that.
    edited April 2005
    "Startup Items" only exists for the admin account. I need it to start up on a "Managed" account that has "Limitations" there instead. :-/
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    You might not be able to. You'll have to have the admin add the item to the startup group for the user.

I don't think there's such a thing as "service" mode for the graphical. You'll probably have to install the thing in the startup script (this means delving into the command line)... And you'll have to have root to do it
    edited April 2005
    All right... we figured it out. I had to enable System Preferences for the account, login to that account, add it under Apps, then add it to Startup, then go back to admin and turn off System Prefs and add permission for that app.

I don't know if I can do that 10 times ;D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    ...I don't know if I can do that 10 times ;D
    If I can put them in my name, I'll drive down there and do it for you. :vimp:
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited April 2005
    From my short experience with a Mac, I think it'll only start up with the OS, but it won't be hidden like a service, in Windows. Was I missing something? The option to hide the application didn't work.