Blue screen of death re Maxtor SATA drive

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Can anyone help, Iv'e got the fatal blue screen of death:

I have tried the various safe mode operations, but to no avail just keeps rebooting.

The drivers required for the Maxtor 250 GB SATA for the motherboard are sil 3112, or 3112r which I have on floppy.

I have attempted to perform a recovery installation of XP to no avail I get to the point where it is checking the drive and the fatal blue screen appears again.

I have installed a Seagate 400 GB SATA drive in its place & installed a virgin copy of XP with no problems, all drivers set up for the Gigabyte GA-K7N400 Pro 2 motherboard, service packed it up to SP1 at the moment and it is running pretty stable.

SATA set as RAID in the bios, I then attached the problem drive (Maxtor 250 gb SATA), and booted up, both drives show up during the boot sequence the Seagate being 0 & the Maxtor being 1, XP starts to load obviously from the Seagate drive but then I get a very quick flash of the fatal blue screen & the system procedes to reboot, I am assuming that the blue screen of death briefly appears when the system is checking the Maxtor drive because when I try another boot up with the Maxtor drive disconnected I have no problems

I now need to attempt at the very least to get to the DOS prompt with the firstly the Maxtor SATA drive recognised in order to perform any kind of check or recovery procedure. OR with both the Maxtor & Seagate drives recognised so that I can try to recover data from the Maxtor drive onto the Seagate drive if I can recover the data from the Maxtor drive I will then attempt to reformat it to see if it is still usable.

Can anyone help

Comments

• scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Hi Trevor
    I guess the first thing to do would be download THE MAXTOR DIAGNOSTIC and make the bootable floppy. Disconnect the good drive and boot to the floppy and check the drive, Read the warnings on the page I linked to.

Scott

Edit

Whoops I just noticed that the utility will not recognize SATA drives
    Note: PowerMax v 4.21 will not detect ATA or SATA hard disks connected to embedded or add in RAID controllers, NVIDIA Force 3, Force 4, VIA KT 600 and KT800 chipsets. If the hard disk is connected to an unsupported controller, it will have to be moved to an alternate system, or controller for diagnosis.
  • edited April 2005
    Yes Thanks Scott, I had a look on the Maxtor site before coming into the office this morning, & could not find any SATA drive utilities in their download section, I do however have the seagate software, that may work, although it will probably state the obvious that it is not a seagate drive and cannot give any guarantees.

I will probably give that a try when I get home later tonight, in the meantime I would welcome any other thoughts or advice on my problem from you excellent people out there.
    edited April 2005
    I would try and run it anyway.
    I had a problem with my WD drives a while back ( also SATA ) and the wd diag worked on them. It was an onboard raid controller. It would be worth a shot.

I am sure someone else will be along before you get home from work with a solution.

Good luck

Scott
  • edited April 2005
    Story so far. - Ran seagates seatools desktop last night with both the seagate & problem maxtor drives connected, seatools recognised both the drives, the controllers & motherboard although it could not specifically identify them. I was able to perform a full complete diagnostic on the problem maxtor drive, controllers, read & write check,etc it took a few hours due to the size of the drive but all results came out AOK, so there is no problem with the physical drive itself. I am now assuming that their is some corruption with the ntfs file structure so I now need to perform a check on this. Does anyone know how I can get to the command prompt with the maxtor drive recognised in order to run CHKDSK, without it crashing with the BSOD.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    Try booting from the XP cd and use the recovery console.
  • edited April 2005
    Just tried going into the recovery console no joy, after pressing R and just after it goes into "examining disk configuration" I get the BSOD, if only I could find a program similar to seatools that recognises the drive and then allows you to check the ntfs file structure of the problem drive, but I guess life isn't that easy! I cannot understand why I am still having the BSOD problem after the physical drive has checked out ok, at the moment even if I were to give up all hope on recovering any data from the drive, I still cannot format it.
    edited April 2005
    I have a brand new 250gb ide maxtor doing the same dam thing actually. Either of the pair of 250gb WD's work fine in the same box. maxtor is just totaly phucked.

I'll try and pull it later today and stick it in another box and see if it can be cleaned.

Also you didnt check it out with Maxtors tools for their drive right? Just the seagate ones?

I'll low level mine tonight with maxtors tools. I have no data on it to lose.

Tex
  • edited April 2005
    Hi Tex

Thats right I checked the Maxtor site & they don't do a diagnostic tool for the SATA drive, I have another PC so I am going to plug a recently acquired PCI SATA driver card in it and try the Maxtor drive in that and see how far I get.

Cheers
    edited April 2005
    The maxtor tool should work for the sata drive. Did you try it?

Tex
  • edited April 2005
    :thumbsup:Yes we have a result, I decided to try the maxtor PowerMax 4.21, it did not recognise the onboard SILICON IMAGE SATA controller but it did recognise the SILICON IMAGE chipset PCI SATA controller, so all i did was to connect the problem drive to this controller card ran a full check it found what turned out to be 8 bad sectors, selected the fix option and BINGO it is back up with no loss of data.

There is a plus out of all this I now have a system with 2 SATA drives 1 booting from the onboard controller, the other attached to the PCI SATA controller + I have 4 ATA drives connected and accessing OK this still leaves me with 1 spare SATA connection on board & 1 spare SATA connection on the PCI SATA controller thanks Tex & Scott for your help. Lessons to be learned here I think.
    edited April 2005
    Glad to here it !!

Scott
  • edited April 2005
    Hey all!
    I searched google and found this thread.
    I have a smilliar problem.
    I have Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ and maxtor 120gb SATA.
    Same thing as above... i doesnt work!
    I thought the problem was in drivers, because i had Asus mainboard before and diffrent drivers than this mainboard is using... but when i saw in this thread i saw the problem was in Silicone image chipset.
    What to do, when you have no money, to buy yourself a new hard drive or and expansion card (PCI-to-SATA) ;) - still a student with no money (well, maybe got some money for that card,since its not that expansive) :)

Anyone got any clues? What should i doo??? Help please!

Ps: im using to boot from friends SATA HD Hitachi 160GB. It boots normaly and i can work with MY HD from this boot. Everything is ok,no bad sectors, only the boot is the problem.

Thx & greetz from Slovenia,
    max
  • edited July 2006
    I had a very similar problem to that described here and this thread, along with many others, were invaluable in my finding a resolution. Out of courtesy I am sharing my scenario and fix here for future generations!

I had an Asus board with a SiI3112 sata controller and a 120GB Maxtor SATA drive. All was fine until symptoms arose about 12 months after installing the drive. Windows XP failed to boot and using the reinstall-DVD/CD I couldn't load the SATA drivers - I would get a blue-screen error 0x0024 in ntfs.sys.

First thing I did was to reattach an old ATA drive to the IDE interface and install XP on that. Then I downloaded latest SATA drivers and SiI3112 firmware updates. I flashed the SiI3112 controller with latest bios.

Controller worked fine (according to Windows) and I only had problems when I connected the Maxtor SATA drive. If the Maxtor was connected prior to bootup, I would get blue-screen error 0x0024 in ntfs.sys during boot up. If I waited for XP to boot and then connected the drive at runtime, the machine would blue screen shortly after connection.

I ran the Maxtor Powermax 4.22 utility (as per Trevor's advice) - notably, version 4.22 does recognise on-board SATA controllers like SiI3112 on the Asus boards (4.21 didn't do this). Powermax said the drive was faulty and needed to be replaced.

This may be so, but I had all my photographs of my kids on this drive and I wasn't going to give up that easily.

It occured to me that the real problem was ntfs which was used on the drive. I figured if I could somehow get chkdsk /f to run on the drive I may be able to recover my files. Question was - how to avoid a Blue Screen BSOD in order to even get to the point of running chkdsk? (This is something Trevor grappled with earlier in this thread).

Then I had an idea - I booted XP without the Maxtor SATA attached. I renamed every occurence of ntfs.sys (the ntfs driver in Windows XP) to ntfs.sys2. It's important to rename every occurence on the machine because XP is smart and will replace a missing driver dynamically. I then rebooted the machine with the Maxtor SATA drive connected.

The machine booted without a blue screen (and without complaining that it couldn't find ntfs.sys!). I could see my Maxtor SATA disk as drive G: although XP considered that it was unformatted (because XP didn't know how to work with ntfs disks without having ntfs.sys loaded). I then opened a command prompt and ran chkdsk G: /F. Chkdsk found loads of errors, fixed them, and rebuilt the indices.

Once chkdsk completed I renamed all occurrences of ntfs.sys2 back to ntfs.sys and rebooted. And guess what? That drive which was faulty and needed replacing started working and I got all my files back!!!

You can imagine that I'm over the moon, and I wanted to share this info with everyone having BSOD with SATA drives formatted as NTFS especially those having ntfs.sys error 0x0024 on the blue screen. This may offer you an alternative to low-level formatting the drive!

Also, don't always believe what manufacturer's tools tell you (like Powermax). The drive may be faulty, and it may ultimately need to be replaced, but I wasn't going to give up hope of getting my kids photos back!
  • edited September 2006
    Hi,

I had the same problem.
    Blue screen, and the computer started to restart a lot of times.

My hard disk is a Maxtor SATA 80Gb.

So my solution was... buy a USB 2.0 Enclosure for 3,5" S-ATA/II HDD (LC Power) and apply this box to my disk.
    Then in another computer when I connect my usb enclosure, it detect the enclosure box, then it detected the hard disk well. The problem it was when I tried to access the local drive ( in my case F: ) ... it hang a while and then give me an error.

So I gone to Command Line, and I executed the command "chkdsk f: /f" and then it can read the disk... and resolved my problem, when it finish reading I can read the disk.

The result was:
    80027765 KB total disk space.
    33292288 KB in 49109 files.
       16096 KB in 3570 indexes.
          16 KB in bad sectors.
      149249 KB in use by the system.
       65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    46570116 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    20006941 total allocation units on disk.
    11642529 allocation units available on disk.

The disk has some probems.. but at least I can take what I want out of that disk!

I havent tried if I can boot the disk again. Maybe it works!

Good luck
    Hélio F. F. Félix