Help installing radeon 9800

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited April 2005 in Hardware
I just got my radeon 9800 pro 256 video card.

And I opened up my computer...

unscrewed the metal tabs.

Then as I was placing it in, it didnt fit!

I know it can fit tho. I just need little a tiny space more room to put it in.

My agp slot is green and has 2 holes in it. I have a dell 4600 dimension, AGP X8, I know my computer can support it but... Does anyone have any tips on making it fit?

Did anyone have this problem? And these stupid little coils on the metal tab slots...

Also there are two power cords coming out...

Any help here?

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    doeither of the hole slots on the card match the bar tab on the agp socket?
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited April 2005
    yep
    edited April 2005
    hmmm ...do you have a digital camera? pics might help
    edited April 2005
    I got the card in. I just had to give it a little tug or push in. :)

Now there is a wire coming out of it (power supply wires for fan ext)

the wire comes out of the card and goes into a white cap, then the wire go out of the white cap into another cap.

So there are to connectors. One has 4 holes the other has 4 metal rods in them.

Where the hell do I connect them. I checked a manual from there site but it said to plug one into the hardrive.... which a wire is already in there...

any hellppp? :wtf:
    edited April 2005
    Nevermind I solved it.

I solved where to connect themmmm.... BUT THE cord connected to the hardrive is so ****ing hard to pull out.... I dont want to break anything is there a easier way to pull it out...
    edited April 2005
    what brand is your card?

does it look something like this?

it needs a molex power connection from the power supply ...I'm sure you have one extra lying around in the case not being used don't you?

You don't really need the cable that's attached that's just to give you an extra molex in case you need it or don't have one to spare.
    edited April 2005
    I got it all hooked up! Thx for your advice tho.

But my computer isnt starting up... (I usally wait a couple minutes for it to again power.
    edited April 2005
    Ok now I got a problem...

I hooked my monitor to my graphics card but now my monitor is just black.

Now what do I do? Do I have to uninstall and install files? Help!!!
    edited April 2005
    did you power off everything first then connect the monitor then power everything on?

does the computer boot with no screen at all or no error message?

install the latest catalyst drivers from ati https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27
    edited April 2005
    yeah my dells are hard to pull too ...I just grab the female and male in each hand and then pull as I jiggle them side to side ...it just takes a while to loosen it seems.
    edited April 2005
    did you have a agp graphics card in there previously?
    were you using onboard graphics previously?
    if so did you disable the onboard graphics controller in the bios?
    edited April 2005
    I have intergrated onboard graphics.
    edited April 2005
    ok
    so when you boot press f2 to enter setup and go into integrated peripherals or whatever and look for graphics ...then set it from enabled to disabled and reboot.

integrated graphics controller must be disabled in order to enable the agp slot.
    edited April 2005
    I took out my agp slot to uninstall stuff.

Do I uninstall my intel graphics also?
    edited April 2005
    Another Question: What are those huge pipes in your picture?

Is that a cooling system?
    edited April 2005
    Bubbleman wrote:
    I took out my agp slot to uninstall stuff.

Do I uninstall my intel graphics also?
    yes
    Bubbleman wrote:
    Another Question: What are those huge pipes in your picture?

Is that a cooling system?
    yes that's larry's watercooling setup.
    edited April 2005
    Hold on...

Do I uninstall Intel Graphics Driver 2, Intel Pro network adapters and drivers, and Intel PROset?

I am running a intel pentium 4 proccessor.
    edited April 2005
    no ...just the graphic drivers ...you probably don't necessarily have to though.
    All you should really need to do is disable the integrated graphics in the bios.
    edited April 2005
    aight Ill try it.... Im pooped... Been working on this all day. Ill try it tommorow.
    edited April 2005
    same here! :thumbsup:
    edited April 2005
    Yes u have! Thx.

Surprised no one else posted today.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    I moved this thread to "Graphics and Sound" - our Video Card experts are more likely to see it this way. :)

After you disable the onboard video in the bios, you might have a look through your MB manual to see if there is a jumper on the MB you need to move, too. Some boards make you do that as well.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2005
    When I installed my 9800 there was another, smaller, power conector that had to plug into the card as well. (shame mode) I didn't realise this and had almost the same problem you're having until it was connected properly.
    edited April 2005
    Well Im waiting to get home from school. Ill install my ram first than the video card.

I looked in my BIOS and went into intergrated devices, I dont know what to turn off.

Theres Sound, and some other stuff. Ill post more when I get home.
    edited April 2005
    I now have uninstalled Intel Extreme Graphics and put in my radeon 9800 pro video card.

I plugged my monitor into the card and.... A black screen Nothing.

Whats up with this?
  • edited April 2005
    Welcome to the club, I have been trying to get My Radeon 9800 installed. So far I have a black screen that goes into standby mode.I took the board back out and restored my computer back to where it was. I went to the manufacturer and asked them how to do it and they told me to go to my computer manufacturer and get them to tell me how to disable the video card.Guess what? They told me to go into the bios and disable the on board video . I went into the bios and there was no onboard video. Then they told me to go to the game manufacturer to get them to tell me how to install the board.(duh) I have a HP Pavilion 742 n computer that is not over 2 years old. I have not a clue. Good luck