FireFox not connecting

edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
I d/l'd FireFox last night, and installation went fine. However, when I tried to load the default home page, nothing showed up, and I got the error message 'www.mozilla.com cannot be found'. This is happening with all URL's I type in.

I've disconnected and reconnected to the net. I've restarted my comp. I've added Mozilla FireFox to the allowed programs through both Norton and Windows Firewall, and I've run out of ideas.

How do I get it to work?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Wait, you're saying that IE works but firefox doesn't?

You might have some spyware that has hijacked your LSP stack and injected itself as your LSP provider for internet explorer.

I would start with running scans with adaware and spybot, and see if either of them mention something about your LSP provider.

You can get both spybot and adaware from our security downloads page. Get each program, update them, and then run them.
  • edited April 2005
    Oh, my poor baby. Only five months old, and already possibly has been infected?! Holy purple poop on a stick.

I'll do those scans tonight. I gotta get back to work now. Thanks. Hopefully this works. IE is bugging me to no end.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    jessika wrote:
    Oh, my poor baby. Only five months old, and already possibly has been infected?! Holy purple poop on a stick.

I'll do those scans tonight. I gotta get back to work now. Thanks. Hopefully this works. IE is bugging me to no end.

i like that, holy purple poop on a stick, ;D

good luck on your spyware hunting.
  • edited April 2005
    I ran AdAware and Spybot S&D, and they both found things (eep!) and they were deleted with no problems. But Firefox still isn't working, and I think I know why, but I don't know how to fix this.

The new version of Norton (which I have) is stupid, and I hate it. But I paid for a 15 mth subscription, so I'm going to wait it out. However, it likes to block access to the internet from various programs, and I have a feeling that it's decided that it doesn't like Firefox. How do I get Norton to calm down, and let me use Firefox?

Oh, and Leishi85? I can't take any credit for that saying. 'Holy poop on a stick' was first said by Mr Garrison on South Park, and while in science, a friend of mine made some purple gunk. She then stuck that purple gunk on a skewer and waved it around shouting 'Holy purple poop on a stick' and it's remained one of my favourite non-swearing swears. :)
    edited April 2005
    Try disabling norton internet security for a moment just to see if that's the problem.
  • edited April 2005
    I've tried that, and it didn't work. I've been gathering my discs, and I'm just going to reformat my laptop. I've been thinking of doing it for a while, because when I set it up the first time, I was rushed, and some things have been bugging me. This just gives me the perfect excuse. I'll let you know how things go, and if Firefox works after that.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2005
    Do you have any custom settings in your IE for a PROXY server?

It is possible that IE is connecting through a PROXY, and FF needs the same info to connect.

Is this computer the same one you posted about in THIS THREAD?

If not, I'd like to see an HJT log for this box, just to check a few settings.

Dexter...
  • edited April 2005
    No, it's not the same computer, and I wish I could do a HJT log for you, but the reformat didn't go as planned. I had the disc, I ran through it like the instructions say, it looked the same as when I had to reformat my mums computer (both are on XP SP2), but now it's broken. I can't change the screen res from 640x480 or the colour up from 16 bit. I can understand all my files being gone (I was prepared for that), but all the drivers are gone as well, the ones that came with the comp when I bought it, and the ones that Dell 'thoughtfully' didn't provide discs for. So I have no modem driver, no printer, no nothing, and I'm not impressed.
    I paid for the 3yr CompleteCover with them, and I'll be calling them today (they're not open on the weekend here in Australia) and organising for them to either send me the discs so I can upload everything again, or have them come and pick the laptop up, repair it to factory settings, and send it back WITH the discs.
  • edited April 2005
    Like Dexter said...if your IE is working still check to make sure that a proxy isn't set.
    Tools > Options > General > Connection settings (now make sure "direct connection to internet" is checked)

If this doesn't work, post the hijackthis log and go from there. ;)

xEz3kiel
  • edited April 2005
    AHAHAHAHA YAY YAY YAY!
    So I called Dell, and they told me to go to wherever and download a bunch of stuff (stuff being all the drivers they DIDN'T give me discs for, and that are vital for the running of the durn notebook) and so I downloaded them at my mums house, and hooked up the notebook, and installed them all, and now everything is working and the internet is back, and Firefox is working, because I'm writing this in a Firefox window, and yay this is so exciting.
    I swear, I never want to have to reformat again, and if I ever say I'm going to 'just because I can', I want someone to shoot me in the shoulder. Seriously.
    Hell. On. Earth.

But everything is working now, except for Norton, but they encrypted the product key into my notebook so when I activated it the first time (and didn't write the key down, thinking that as usual it would be on the case) the key went bye-bye, and I'm waiting to see what Dell/Norton will do in regards to giving it to me again.

But seriously. I just built my notebook. *is proud* Okay, so I had discs, and all I did was install the stuff on them, but I had to find stuff, and burn discs to transfer them from mums comp to mine, and weeeee I did it all by myself. *is more proud* Yay!
    edited April 2005
    Congratulations :) I'm glad everything is working for you :thumbsup: