Dell P4 Optiplex rebooting.

jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Started yesterday while the controller here was at her desk. Thing just started rebooting for no reason. Checked the event log first to see if it was a windows issue, and the only thing I found were 3 Ci errors spread out over a 5 hour period.

Ran a chkdsk to see if their may be any bad clusters on the HDD that may be faulting something out. No dice there either.

Ran MemTest from Windows 2k. No errors there. Ran MemTest from DOS overnight. Computer must have rebooted sometime in the night cause the login screen up was.

Pulled the ram and put in a different stick. Comp ran 1-1/2 hours before it rebooted again.

I've got the case cracked open running it open air to see if it may be a overheating problem...but since its just started doing this, I highly doubt it.

Anyone have any inisght on this?

Comments

• edited April 2005
    very weird, any configuration changes made to the machine that you didn't know about? typically those are deu's(defective end user) or hardware issues. hell, i'd scan it for viruses and spyware, make sure you don't have a virus killing the lsass.exe process and causing it to reboot.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2005
    Our Nortorton corperate hasnt picked up any virus activity on anything company-wide. She's said that she's dont nothing to the comp other then her work, and looking over event log I really have no reason to doubt her. Still in the dark on this thing. Its been back up over an hour now with the case open, so I almost want to say its overheating. I need to find a temperature monitor to see if it is a temp issue.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    I suspect power supply... Which model of Optiplex? GX-240, 260, 270, or the new 280?
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited April 2005
    Is the fan on the cpu's heatsink turning? we use the optiplex 270's here at work and usually it's either a power supply issues or a overheating issue
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    I doute its a overheating issue its a dell they use intel chips they dont reset they throttle down.
    Its most likely a psu issue check the voltages.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2005
    Its looking like PSU to me also. I put in a spare one I had lying around about 3 hours ago with no probs. Now I have the origional in trying to make sure all the connections are good before I get one shipped.