Nvidia SLI Doesn’t Dupport Dual Screen

RewiredRewired Member
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
A BOSNIAN GAMER friend owner of a SLI setup asked me a very interesting question that I tried to investigate and resolve with Nvidia. He suggested that he couldn’t have SLI enabled and have dual screen mode operating at the same time.

It’s very simple - as soon as you turn SLI you will lose dual screen mode and your second screen will shut off instantly.
We asked Nvidia but it never got back to us officially so we tried it ourselves with two 6600GTs and I learned that you cannot use SLI and two displays at the same time, at least not with the current drivers.

Some gamers actually like to have chat application or some other stuff on second display but with SLI you just cannot get you second display in use while you are playing the game. Some like to chat when they got shot in the game while waiting for the new game to start.
Source: The Inquirer

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    Well I won't be switching to nvidia then. ;D

My second monitor is too much to me.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited April 2005
    What's SLI?
  • RewiredRewired Member
    edited April 2005
    1) Future driver updates may allow SLI to be compatible with a second monitor

2) SLI is a technology by NVidia that allows a computer to harness the power of two graphic cards simultaneously.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    1) Future driver updates may allow SLI to be compatible with a second monitor

That's a pretty expensive gamble, that it "may in the future" allow for dual monitors.
  • Ghaleon4Ghaleon4 South Oklahoma
    edited April 2005
    I suppose more than anything, it depends on how important dual-screen really is to you. I don't use it that much, so I'll still take SLI over dual-screen functionality any day of the week. And if they later have drivers that will support both at the same time, then PLUS! : )
  • edited April 2005
    Couldnt you always just switch it off?
  • edited April 2005
    Couldnt you always just switch it off?
    Then why the hell would you buy two video cards in the first place if you're only gonna use one?