new cores for qmd & gromacs

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Folding@Home
Today I noticed a new qmd core 1.04 and a new gromacs core 1.81. While I'm not sure what the changes to the gromacs core is I think I know that the qmd core is addressing previous stall issues.
Check out the thread here at the community!

http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?p=96647#96647

"I found the hole in locking mechanism, and patched the core code. Guha is uploading the core right now, so you can get it soon. The new core will be downloaded automatically as usual from the next QMD WU, but you may want to force it by stopping, deleting old core, and then restarting the client. However, if you had this problem, you have to make sure that no core is running after stopping F@H. (by using task manager)

The reason was a left-over locking object from a previous run, and I could exactly reproduce what was reported in this thread. And I suspect that HT problem is related to this (I can't be sure 100% since I couldn't reproduce it here -- but in theory the reported symptom can be explained with this bug.) "

Comments

• rc1974rc1974 Grand Junction, CO
    edited April 2005
    Hopefully the new QMD core will allow Athlon 64's to run it, but I'm not holding my breath or crosssing my fingers.

Stall issues, schmall issues! I want my QMD! :mad:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Anyone having trouble with the new Gromacs core?

I had a machine stalled at 97% on a 600-Point WU. Needless to say, I was not going to let those points get away if I could help it.

I stopped the client and deleted the old core, then heaved a sigh of relief when the WU finished normally.

The next WU on that machine was a 149-Point Gromac. It is running at a 191ppw pace, far below the 1000+ppw average that particular computer had been making. I deleted the core (again), but it didn't help.

Anyone out there having a similar experience? :scratch:
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited April 2005
    with these new cores, I haven't been experience the core lockups using two H-T QMD cores

either I'm just lucky, or the fixes actually worked