Has anyone seen this F@H problem?

MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
edited April 2005 in Folding@Home
FAH502Console.exe

Setup to download in "batches" (10 wu at a time).

If trying to run TWO clients, I get this error...
Launch directory: C:\F@H2
Executable: C:\F@H2\FAH502-Console.exe
Arguments: -local

[02:51:41] - Ask before connecting: No
[02:51:41] - User name: Icrontic10 (Team 93)
[02:51:41] - User ID: 7606D402568E8F2B
[02:51:41] - Machine ID: 2
[02:51:41]
[02:51:41] Loaded queue successfully.
[02:51:41] + Benchmarking ...
[02:51:47]
[02:51:47] + Processing work unit
[02:51:47] Core required: FahCore_65.exe
[02:51:47] Core found.
[02:51:47] Working on Unit 00 [April 9 02:51:47]
[02:51:47] + Working ...
[02:51:49] CoreStatus = 63 (99)
[02:51:49] + Error starting Folding@Home core.

[02:51:54]
[02:51:54] + Processing work unit
[02:51:54] Core required: FahCore_65.exe
[02:51:54] Core found.
[02:51:54] Working on Unit 00 [April 9 02:51:54]
[02:51:54] + Working ...
[02:51:57] CoreStatus = 63 (99)
[02:51:57] + Error starting Folding@Home core.

I can run either client by itself with no problem, but I can't run both at the same time.

Ideas?

Thanks!! :)

Comments

• edited April 2005
    Bill are you sure both clients are set up with different machine id's?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2005
    Well that one has a machineID of 2 so I would think the other is one.

Are both tinker WUs. Im guessin they are if you have it setuo to download 10 WUs.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    dumb question but why are you running 2 clients?

can we see each client.cfg
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited April 2005
    I have been running two clients all along (version 4) with no problems. Since changing to version 5, I'm getting this error.

mudd: Yes, they have different machine ID's.

mmonnin: Yes, both are tinkers.

csimon: I am running two sessions because, since I'm on the road a lot right now, SM10 runs for as much as a week without connecting to the internet. I'm trying to make it more productive. :)

client.cfg (session 1)
    [settings]
    username=Icrontic10
    team=93
    asknet=no
    machineid=1
    local=11

[http]
    active=no
    host=localhost
    port=8080
    usereg=no

[clienttype]
    type=2
    nonet=yes

client.cfg (session 2)
    [settings]
    username=Icrontic10
    team=93
    asknet=no
    machineid=2

[http]
    active=no
    host=localhost
    port=8080
    usereg=no

[clienttype]
    type=2
    nonet=yes
    edited April 2005
    After "machineid=1" on session one, there is a line "local=11". I added that same line to session two's client.cfg file and got the same error.
    edited April 2005
    I haven't seen this problem with tinkers before. You make have to resort back to a single client.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited April 2005
    MrBill wrote:
    After "machineid=1" on session one, there is a line "local=11". I added that same line to session two's client.cfg file and got the same error.
    what the hell does local=11 in the config do? I think you may be safe taking this line out, and adding the -local tag to the shortcuts. If I'm reading this correctly adding this to the config of the NON messed up client was causing that one to error, so why not just remove it from both?
    edited April 2005
    TheBaron wrote:
    what the hell does local=11 in the config do? I think you may be safe taking this line out, and adding the -local tag to the shortcuts. If I'm reading this correctly adding this to the config of the NON messed up client was causing that one to error, so why not just remove it from both?
    I don't know what local=11 does. :confused:

I am already using -local as you can see from my first post. I took the local=11 out of the client.cfg for both sessions and I still have the same problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Guess I'll just run one session at a time....
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    MrBill wrote:
    ...I am running two sessions because, since I'm on the road a lot right now, SM10 runs for as much as a week without connecting to the internet. I'm trying to make it more productive...
    I'm not exactly sure how to do it, but I believe that it is possible to download multiple WU's, then crunch them one at a time. They'll just stay in your outgoing queue until you can get back online and send them in.

Can someone confirm this and perhaps advise MrBill on the best way to set it up? :)
    edited April 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    I'm not exactly sure how to do it, but I believe that it is possible to download multiple WU's, then crunch them one at a time. They'll just stay in your outgoing queue until you can get back online and send them in.

Can someone confirm this and perhaps advise MrBill on the best way to set it up? :)
    I might be mistaken but I think that the "type=2" in his client.cfg is already requesting multiple wu's.
    edited April 2005
    profdlp wrote:

That's what I am doing now. I was just trying to get two sessions going in case the first one ran out of work units before I got home. I'll be in Dallas all week.
    edited April 2005
    MrBill wrote:
    That's what I am doing now. I was just trying to get two sessions going in case the first one ran out of work units before I got home. I'll be in Dallas all week.
    hmmm ...mrs bill?
    what needs to be done ...you need to make a connection to send and receive manually or something?
    edited April 2005
    csimon wrote:
    hmmm ...mrs bill?
    what needs to be done ...you need to make a connection to send and receive manually or something?
    Yep. I only have one phone line so I can't set IE to auto-connect. Plus, I have to copy the files from one machine to another and then back again. It's a process. MrsBill is busy packing for the big move, so I don't dare ask her to help with this.

Maybe it won't run out of work before I get home. Things should get a little smoother after we move. I HOPE! :)
    edited April 2005
    On a positive note though.....the hotel I'm staying in has FREE HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS! :D

too bad that doesn't help with my F@H problem
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    If memory serves, muddocktor used to load up his laptop with a bunch of WU's when he was headed out to the oil rig. (This was before they had net access out at sea.) He'd have enough in the queue to last him weeks, working on them one at a time.

I'll see if I can figure out how he did it. :)
  • edited April 2005
    MrBill, I was just checking on this machine here and on both my clients I have a different number in the "local=" line. One client has 474 there and the other has 481. I'm not sure what this signifies though.

Have you tried using different numbers in the "local=" line; it might help. If it doesn't, then you might just get both (or however many clients you think you might need because you can have up to 8 machine id's with the version 5 console) clients to d/l a batch of 10 wu's, then shut down all but 1 client. Then have MrsBill check the computer every day or so and see if the client is actively folding on that client. If it's finished it's 10 wu batch, have her shut the client down and start the next client up. You could even name the startup shortcut's "number1, number2, etc" to make it easier for her to know which shortcut to click on to start the client.

I used to go offshore with my laptop loaded with extra wu's (the normal ones) in different machine id's and folders, but I would just run one at a time and when it finished a wu, I would shut that instance down and start another instance. Since you can't reasonably expect MrsBill to watch it that closely, the 10 batch of timeless wu's on a couple of different clients should work perfectly and MrsBill would only have to check it very infrequently to look for the first instance to finish processing it's batch of wu's and start another instance folding.
    edited April 2005
    Mudd: That is a great idea! The shortcuts are F@H and F@H2. I can easily talk her through shutting down the client that is running and starting the other one. I can transmit them when I get home.

Thanks for the suggestion!!
  • edited April 2005
    I'm glad I could help you out, Bill. :)

BTW, are you moving again or something? I see you posted about MrsBill packing for the big move, but I hadn't heard that you were moving again.

Also, I might be able to help you out with some sat broadband equipment if you need it. A friend of mine is giving me his Direcway setup, since he moved and where he's living now has cable broadband, so if you can swing $60/month for the connection and get someone to install it, you could have sat broadband like me. I just need to get over to his old house and remove the dish and pick up the sat modems from him.
    edited April 2005
    I'm glad you guys found each other before the dallas trip! :fold:
    edited April 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    I'm glad I could help you out, Bill. :)

BTW, are you moving again or something? I see you posted about MrsBill packing for the big move, but I hadn't heard that you were moving again.

Also, I might be able to help you out with some sat broadband equipment if you need it. A friend of mine is giving me his Direcway setup, since he moved and where he's living now has cable broadband, so if you can swing $60/month for the connection and get someone to install it, you could have sat broadband like me. I just need to get over to his old house and remove the dish and pick up the sat modems from him.
    Yes, I am moving again. I'm relocating to our corporate office in Springfield, Missouri. We are supposed to close and move in April 22nd.

I won't be able to go SAT until I sell my old house. I'm going to have 2 house payments until then. :(
    edited April 2005
    csimon wrote:
    I'm glad you guys found each other before the dallas trip! :fold:
    I'm in Dallas this week, but I will be having MrsBill check on SM10 tomorrow. It should not have run out of work to do yet....I hope.
    edited April 2005
    I know what you mean about 2 house payments ...I have that too until I sell this house which isn't even on the market yet. :shakehead