Gigabyte K8nxp-9

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hi there ! Im new around and i've found this forum i one of my google search ;)

The fact is, im gonna buy a brand new PC soon and i am making my list of components that i'll put in...

It'll be an AMD 64 4000+ processor for sure, in fact all of my list is complete but i have a little problem in the choice of a motherboard.

I know that Gigabyte has never produce realy good stuff in the past... but then i found MANY review that put one of their new boards on the TOP of the list. This is were i discorver the K8NXP-9. Im seaching for the best non-SLI board on the market and if i trust what i read... At this time it seems like this is the "beast" i want for my hardcore-gaming little puppy ;)

But... im a good review-reader but i don't have too much knowledge in the new technology, maybe some of you have this kind of knowledge :D ... Is there another choice to me if i want the best performance for my new AMD pc ? Or is this the best option to me ?

Thakx for the help :)

Comments

• edited April 2005
    If I was building an nf4 machine, I would choose the DFI "LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D" to build my system with, if you plan to do some serious overclocking. It has probably the best overclocking bios out there and supports high vdimm volts without having to do any mods to the board, so you can run the OCZ VX ddr at high fsb speeds with very tight timings. It's price is also reasonable.

BTW, I've read that with all the nf4 boards out there that have a 24 pin ATX power connector, you really need to go with a psu that natively supports a 24 pin connector and not use a 20 pin>24 pin converter, so you don't run into stability problems.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited April 2005
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited April 2005
    What the... What is DFI... Never heard of them before, are they new in the world of motherboard ? For sure they've done a good job with this board !

All the stuff i can need from a board is on this one... And it has an impresive look too ;)

I just can't wait to have my new computer in front on me... This is where (i hope lol) the real fun will begin :D

Thankx for the warning about 24 pin, but i already know that using converter is a realy bad thing... Trouble is coming when you do this, and i don't want trouble ! :)

I'll be looking for that OCZ memory you talk about in your post... i was thinking about chose some Corsair, like the Twinx LL Pro or something like this... But you put me on another track with this board ! I just found and read somthing about the possibility with de Lanparty AND the VX together... WOW ! ;)

With a great case and cooling system, this thing will realy be a BEAST ! :D
  • edited April 2005
    If you want to read a good article about the SLI version of this board and also premium ddr, read this Anandtech article on testing the OCZ VX, Samsung TCCD based ddr and Crucial's Ballistix ram. The only difference between the SLI version and the board I linked to is the use of the nf4 SLI chip instead of the non-SLI chip and actually, the first release Ultra-D boards could be modded to SLI by a simple connect-the-bridges mod like with the old time socket A procs. The performance of the DFI board is nothing short of astounding to me and all 3 memory types would be a great basis for an oustanding performing rig. The beauty of the DFI board is that it can natively give you up to 4.0v vdimm support without any mods so you can run ram that needs high volts to run tight timings like the VX or old Winbond BH5 or 6.

In that article, they were able to get to 318 fsb with OCZ Platinum Rev 2 (TCCD based) ddr to 318 fsb at 1:1 ratio. :cool::eek:

EDIT: BTW, the reason you are seeing such high performance boards from DFI nowdays is that they hired the guy that designed the Abit NF7-S boards away from Abit. ;D
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited April 2005
    EDIT : I'll go with Lanparty board (non-SLI)+ OCZ VX Memory... Cuz they seem to be made to work together :D The reason that make me don't want SLI is that i principaly don't want to put all the money it'll need to buy 2 top perfomance video card, and also that i read that the result is not very stable and some bugs where discover on the benchtests with 2 video card. I think i'll go for an Asus V9999 256 meg Ultra as video card, and i read that the GEFORCE 4 6800 Ultra did not support SLI for now. Anyway i don't personnaly think that SLI based CPU will be perfectly stable for the coming year as they suffer from a high risk of problems and a heat problem too (i cannot imagine all the heat that'll be spread in a case when putting 2 Asus V9999 together with only a litlle space between the cards :eek: ) So anyway, for my needs and accorded to what i read, a non-SLI board will be perfect, and a little cheaper too if i know that i won't use SLI technoly anyway...

Im not the kind of guy who push is computer to his limits but it seems here that we can overclock without problems... In fact i'll go with a maximum voltage of 3.5 so if i have any problems i'll rely on this :

"OCZ EL PC-4000 Gold VX is rated to handle up to 3.5V without invalidating the OCZ lifetime warranty. "

Anyway with this kind of voltage i'll have all the performance i need from my memory to be an happy man :)

Thaxk a lot muddocktor, i just can't wait to buy this stuff now :thumbsup:

BTW, it seems like DFI have made a pretty good choice in hiring (or stealing ? ;)) the guy that designed the Abit NF7-S boards... I think that abit must be sad with the GREAT job of this man on the DFI motherboards quality :p