Should I get more...

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Power?

I Read in my manual I only have 250 watts. That sucks cause my radeon needs 300 and more. I think thats why my screen is black.

I have a dell 4600 dimension.

Is there a certain type of power supply box I need?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Many people here like the Antec Trupower line. Get the best one you can afford. If you're hardware says 300W is a minimum, I'd go for at least 350W-400W. There are other good brands as well. Just stay away from the cheapo no-name stuff.
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited April 2005
    Do you think this is good for my computer?

NEW 580-Watt Dual Fan PC ATX Power Supply 4 P4/AMD-XP

Its going for 8 bucks on ebay. And the seller has good feed back.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited April 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    Many people here like the Antec Trupower line. Get the best one you can afford. If you're hardware says 300W is a minimum, I'd go for at least 350W-400W. There are other good brands as well. Just stay away from the cheapo no-name stuff.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    But dells use proprietary power supply pinouts. plugging a regular psu in will fry both the mobo and possible the psu.
  • edited April 2005
    That, and I can tell you for sure that the $8 "580W" PSU is a complete peice of garbage.
    edited April 2005
    what would you suggest me getting?
  • edited April 2005
    An Antec Truepower or Smartpower branded supply. Something 430 watts or more.
    edited April 2005
    Will a dell dimension 4600 be able to install that? According to swaips post?
  • edited April 2005
    Going on what Prof says: Yes.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited April 2005
    TheSmJ wrote:
    That, and I can tell you for sure that the $8 "580W" PSU is a complete peice of garbage.

Crap I better tell both my dual opterons, the single opteron and the other four amd 64bit systems here in my house running right now to shut their azz's down pronto as none of them are running on more then a $30 PSU MAX and they all run 24/7 without problems. I have had as many antec/enermax $100 PSU's fail as the $30 cheap 500 to 600 watt ones.

You don't need a $60 to $80 antec psu for a normal system. Of any kind.

Thanks! I better break now and start shutting all these computers down I guess.

he has a little friggin Dell and any reasonable 350 to 400 watt psu will hold that sucker up fine if his Dell MB supports non dell PSU's.

A $8 ebay psu may very well of meant to be sold for $30 to $40 new.

I just paid $107 for a amd 64 cpu that sells on newegg for $170. Is that a POS also? Or $200 for a pair of opterons that sell at newegg for $350. ebay prices don't tell a lot about quality of the unit. And he doesnt need much to power that rig. He has a 250 watt so even if the 580 watt doesnt really reach that advertised spec it is probably running at a fraction of its real power output.

I just bought a very NICE 350 watt TTGI psu for 10 bucks on eBay and ttgi is one of the best names in PSU's. Not a PC Power & Cooling equal but just as good as Antec or Enermax.

Tex
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    If you don't get a dell psu you better make sure you have a dremel or some sort of cutting tool. I can send nasty pics from school if you like! ;D Not in my lab of course. :shakehead