Question about PC Power & Cooling 510 Express

GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Hi all ! Im quite new in the world of high technology hardware. Im planning to build a new PC with an AMD 4000+ processor mounted on a DFI LAN PARTY Ultra-D motherboard with 1gig of the powerfull OCZ EL PC4000 VX GOLD RAM. I think i'll choose the asus V9999 256 meg Ultra for my video card.

So... this quite a beast and i know i'll be trying some overclocking. In the DFI LAN PARTY specs i've read that it takes a navtie 24 pins PSU... so im looking for the best PSU for my new little puppie (i'll buy it in ~1 month)... There i read some amazing review of the PC Power & Cooling 510 Express. But when i went to the PC P&C web site on the specs of this PSU when can found this :

ATX12V (2.03) <- Ok
20/24-pin <- Is this a native 24 pins for sure ??? It looks like it is by a look to the pictures of the pins.
P4 dual 6-pin video <- P4 ?... What is the mens of P4 ? is the dual 6-pin video is for the fact that this is "supported" the new Nvidia SLI feature ? Im not gonna choose the DFI SLI motherboard cuz for me the SLI feature is too new to be completely trust...

So my "real" question here is quite simple : Is this PSU will fit my new CPU ? Im not too familiar with the "native" term and the P4 mentioned make me think of Pentium of something like that so im a bit confused and i don't want to buy something that won't fullfill all my needs ;)

Thankx for your help

Comments

• rykoryko new york
    edited April 2005
    first of all that pc P&C 510w psu will work just fine. the 20/24pin thing means that an adapter is included. Since it is a pci-e and sli certified, i can guarantee that it is native 24pin. Also the p4 dual 6pin video connector is for high end (6800ultra+) video cards in SLI mode---hence dual. Originally these 6pin connectors were used on intel Xeon boards, so "p4" is somewhat misleading....

also a few words of advice....you aren't using SLI so why go for an SLI certified psu? that pc p&c unit is super nice, but the only one on the market that "passes" nvidia's SLI certification. However people all over are using non-certified psus in their SLI rigs without incident. extra money down the drain if you ask me. here are a few of my suggestions (all native 24pin)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-931&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-512&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-155&depa=0

second, forget about the ASUS video card. they work great but are extremely overpriced for what you get. for some reason ASUS thinks their video cards are so special that they can charge anywhere from $50 - $100 over MSRP (manufacture's suggested retail price). also ASUS doesn't follow the naming conventions like all other video card manufactures do. so you have to be extremely careful to notice ALL specs on the card to make sure you get what you want. EXAMPLE with 6800gt:

ASUS 6800gt, 128mb, 256bit, 350core/700mem
    >6800 by all other companies!
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-177&depa=1

ASUS 6800gt, 256mb, 256bit, 350core/1000mem
    >about $75 too expensive!
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-188&depa=1

xfx 6800gt, 256mb, 256bit, 350core/1000mem
    >all other 6800gt are like this!
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-150-073&depa=1

If you want to go with a 6800ultra, then here is my favorite....b/c of the all copper cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-122-214&depa=1

Last, i would wait for the venice core a64's to hit the market (a few weeks or days), so you can get the benifit of these awesome cores. Besides the improved memory controller, SSE3, etc...I have seen reviews where people have gotten a 3200+ (2.0ghz default) to 2.8ghz on air with no voltage increase and no multiplier dropping! That is awesome! :mullet:
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited April 2005
    Thankx for all the explanation ryko :P

So, you say that the main "advantage" of the PC Power & Cooling 510 Express is the "SLI certification" ? If that's so then i think i'll go for the ANTEC TruePower as it also seem to do a great job. If i can save a few bucks here then i'll have the possibility to spend them somewhere else ;)

About the videocard... In fact i have a LOT of hesitation in the choice of the card... i want the best gaming experience and it seems that GEFORCE provide, in overall, more "stable" performance. But im also aware that the RADEON XT is the king in the "candy eyes" mode... I know it's hard to recommand GEFORCE or ATI cuz the choice depands on a lot of things... but that's why it's so hard to chose... Every review that i read make me change my mind :confused:

One thing about the Leadtek card you suggest me... It's weird to see a card with SUCH a cooler system run so HOT... In some review they see this card run at more than 70 degree !!!! That's the only negative spot of this card for me... But it's a big one !

For the news about the coming of the venice core... THANKX A LOT, I just read some pretty interisting articles about this (I was not aware of the venice core !) and i think that i'll surely wait some times to see what will happen with this new core... Making a top-performace processor with this core will surely gives us a KICK-ASS Performance processor. It'll definitively worth the waiting ! But you say i should wait some day or weeks, i personnaly think it'll be longer than that before seeing those new-cored processors come to the market :(

I hope that i am wrong, cuz i realy need a new computer soon so... But i'll wait some weeks to see what's coming with this venice core. I also read about SAN DIEGO core that will be the same venice core but with more L2 cache, more cache is never a bad thing so this can be a great choice for the new top-performance AMD processor (like the 4200+ or the FX-57 that some articles talk about ;))

You have force me to wait with this information about the new core, but it's worth the waiting for sure and i can only thank you :thumbsup:

Spending so much money on a computer must be a GREAT investment... And with this news im force to think like you ;) I'll sit and watch until the coming of this venice/san diego core into the world of extreme performance :mullet:

That will give me some spare time to think about the last problem that i have now... "Which technoloy of video card should i use ? Geforce or ATI ?" :P

Some of my friends have only GEFORCE in mind when it comes to overall gaming performance, but benchtest sometimes shows that ATI is able to take the crown... :confused:

(Sorry for the "sometime poor english", english is not my "native" laguage :p)
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited April 2005
    Ati is better for direct X nvidia is better in open gl. You should make your decision in what type of game your goina play. example doom 3 is in open gl when half-life 2 is in direct X.
    Also if you plan to go sli in the future nvidia is you only choice.
    Ati is king of the hill for single cards right now.
    edited April 2005
    The choice between the type of game is difficult because we don't know what's coming in the future and so the choice is almost impossible because we don't know what kind of technique the future game will take.

But, like you said... It's (in overall) true to say that ATI seems to be one step over nvidia but in some game i've seen ATI going very HIGH in fps and then a much LOWER , nvidia seems to be more constant in performance. This kind of stuff is extemely relative... One thing is sure, im not interested by SLI for now, so yes im looking for a single powerfull card. My future (not the one i'll buy now, but the one i'll buy in... 4-5 years maybe) computer will probably be SLI... But not this one.

In my last reply i've said that i don't think that the new AMD core will be coming up this close (in the coming weeks)...

Well i've just found one article that proove me im wrong ! (but somehow, im not sad :D)

"On April 15 AMD will begin shipping new Athlon 64 4000+ processors on San Diego core, which will be the same as Venice but with larger L2 cache "

My heart beat faster since i've read this line :p
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Next month I am building an Ultra-D board for my wife as since she dicovered mine she doesn't want her NF7/ mobile Barton anymore. :scratch: So i am building her anew system with the same board, my current CPU (I am getting an XP4000 Sandiego for myself), an ATI X600 All-In-Wonder (she's not a heavy gamer but does like having a tuner) and a couple of Hitachi SATA's. i game a bit but don't hang on the edge of my seat to do it every day so settled on the X800XL and haven't regretted it as it is on par w/ a 6800GT all the way but if I was into it more so as to (cough) justify (cough) a better card I would have gone with the X850XT. As for the PC P&C 510, It is simly the finest PSU made. It is also the only one that carries a 7 Yr warranty!!! But yes there are a few others out there that warrant attention. I had one hell of a hard time choosing which one I was going with. I may like the Antec I got but also wish I would have got somethine else as I am not sure I got the best for my money and feel that the last 3 Antec's I have bought were not as good as the older ones I have had!
  • rykoryko new york
    edited April 2005
    personally i would go with an x800xl also - mainly b/c my budget is limited to $300 or maybe a little more. it seems to be the best price/performance ratio single card right now.

however, i have to say that either way when you get to the very high end cards today, you can't go wrong. x850xt (pe) or 6800ultra (oc) will deliver an outstanding gaming experience.

when the venice cores come out i plan on this...

antec truepowerII 550w or ocz modstream 520w
    dfi lanparty ultra-d
    sapphire x800xl
    a64 venice 3200+

from current sys...

1gb giel ultra pc4400
    3 x 200gb wd sata
    nec 3500a
    kingwin kt-404 case

it seems like i have been waiting forever... after tax day i will probably start purchasing. :D
    edited April 2005
    I've been waiting for a long time too... My actual computer is now 5 years old. A fabulous 1200 mhz AMD Thunderbird ;D

The difference between this sh*t and the new computer im going to buy will be simply awesome :D

Im lucky because for me now money is not a real problem so im gonna put the more juice i can into my next computer :thumbsup:

Thankx to this forum, I have almost complete the puzzle of the "hardware" selection part... My last hesitation is in the choice of a good ATX case. There's a lot of choice in this category but i'll post one thread more specific about it to have some help about that choice ;)

I think i will have a top-gaming-performance-summer-time :cool:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2005
    I recently purchased a PCP&C 510 Express (about 2 months ago). It still hurts to think of the money I spent on it, but I look at it like more of an investment. This PSU really should last many years. It is a fantastic PSU. I have never seen such rock solid rails. It does not matter what I do, gaming, prime95, you name it, the rails do not fluctuate even 0.01 volts. I can't say enough good things about this PSU. I'd be really hard pressed to believe there is much better out there. If you don't want to take any chances on a PSU, this is your choice :D

The DFI Lanparty NF4 boards do require quite a bit of juice, so make sure you get a good native 24-pin PSU, such as the PCP&C or an OCZ Powerstream etc. I believe the Antec Neo 480 is a good ATX2.X PSU as well.

I'm waiting for the new core AMD chips as well (along with much of the world) :) Can't wait for the San Diego's to hit the shelves. 4000+ seems like it has my name on it :D I need something with a better memory controller, this winchester does not like high memory frequencies.
    edited April 2005
    Yeah... Im still not sure if i'll put the necessary amount of money to get the Express or if i'll chose the Antec instead...

*thinking*

But i think i'll get my hands on the Express too... It's realy the top of the line... Even if i don't use all this PSU have to offer, it's still the top of the line and virtualy (if i trust all i read on that PSU) cannot be compared with other PSU. So for my top-performance computer i'll buy a top-performance PSU :D

Man, the complete list will cost my an arm and a leg and even more lol ! I was planing to keep my actual monitor (a 17" Viewsonic Q95 ) But now i've changed my mind and will buy a SAMSUNG 915N-Black 19" LCD... I've said to myself 'if i buy the almost-top of all, why exclude the monitor ?' hah

My only hope with all that money on a computer is to get what i'll pay for. NO problem, NO scrap, and a LOT of gaming performance. :thumbsup: