OCZ PC4400 Gold EL & Gat on AI7???

JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Mack, my PC4400 Gold EL finally arrived and so far, 1:1 it runs a 280fsb @ 3v no probs :)

However I can't use any of the gat settings which is a bit disappointing, it'll boot but hang before getting the Windows splash screen. It doesn't matter if lower the fsb to 200 or change the strap settings.

Am I expecting too much from the ram? I got it cos I thought it was optimised for the Intel chipset, but my TwinMos BH-5 & Patriot XBLK can run the Street Fighter & Turbo settings so I would have thought the OCZ should be able to as well.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Jim

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    Jim,

I'll look into it. I need to get the office to test different settings for you. No Intel here unfortunatly.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited April 2005
    Thanks Mack, you're a star :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2005
    Jimbo, my IC7-G won't run my pc4400 el gold with the performance settings set to anything but auto, but it seems to be working fine and according to cpu-z performance mode is enabled. Here's a screenie I just took of what my 4400 el gold is running at, with a sandra mem bench.
    edited April 2005
    At what speed did your tccd and BH5 run GAT?
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited April 2005
    Jim - I have that same problem with my IS7, I can't run OC'd with GAT set to anything other than auto. not a big deal though, since my OC exceeds the performance increase I was getting with GAT anyway

you may be expecting too much from the board, not the ram. try running with only one stick and see what happens
    edited April 2005
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    At what speed did your tccd and BH5 run GAT?

Hi Mac, I think it was about 220-230fsb with street fighter setting, I forgot to make a note so I could be wrong.

Mud, what strap setting are you running or doesn't the IC-7 have strap settings, I'm not familiar with it?

Baron, I'll try that the next time I have the cover off & see what happens.
  • edited April 2005
    I'm pretty sure I have my northbridge strap set to PSB 800 in bios, Jim. I'm running an m0 2.4c on the IC7-G.
    edited April 2005
    Hmmm, ok done a bit of testing, if I have the strap set to PSB 800, & Pat/gat settings all set to auto then PAT is not enabled but I can run it @ 280fsb 1:1

In order to enable PAT I have to use one of the Turbo/SR/F1 however the board will not boot if I do no matter what the fsb is.

If I set the strap PSB 667 everything else Auto, then PAT is enabled but I can only run @ 235fsb 1:1

So my question is, in what way is this memory optimised for the I865/875 chipset? It seems to be a limitation of this memory that you can't use the PAT/GAT settings.

Mudd, I think that must be the main difference between the 865 & 875 chipset, on the 875 the PAT is enabled on auto settings with the strap set to PSB 800.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited April 2005
    I think the bottom line is that GAT, like all other PAT hacks, is unstable and not as good as the real thing
    edited April 2005
    Jim,

It's optimized in the way that it performs better on slappy alphatimings. The alphatimings is the timings you don't see in a bios. it's programmed onto the boards bios in a lower level. You see some of those timings on the DFI boards, but only like half of them.

At the time when your memory hit the market, they didn't perform very well on any AMD setups at all, hence why we marketed it as a good 875 choice. At that time, no Amd setup would do 4400 speeds either actually.
    edited April 2005
    Mack, just did some more testing & also had a brain dead moment which I'll come to.

Right I just put the Patriot TCCD back in & while i could enable Gat SR perfomance mode @ 200fsb I couldn't at 230fsb so it must have been my single sided Twinmoss BH-5 which I could do this however as its only 512mb I ain't putting it back in.

I then put the OCZ PC4400 Gold back in put it back to 280fsb & used sandra to bench the memory & got a a scores of around 4900. WTF! very disappointing when compared to mud's scores & I have the exact same set up apart from m/b. Then I had a ciggy & beer & noticed that the cpu usage was at 100%, doh! I'd forgotten turn kill folding@home which was running in the background.

So turned of f@h & re-benched. Now something wierd is going here as I'm beating mud's scores a bit and he's got perfomance mode enabled on the 875 chipset.

Edit - **** another brain dead moment, mud's running a 275fsb so just benched again @ 275fsb & my scores are:

Still pretty close to mud's scores
    Eitherway I'm a happy bunny once again & my faith in OCZ products & support is validated. Thanks for your for assistance.