Wireless USB Network Woes...

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
I have a Linksys USB 2.4GHz 802.11b Wireless USB Network Adapter, along with a Linksys Router(the one that you can OC or something).

Not sure what's happening exactly, so I'll explain it the best I can. BTW I am stuck with the USB Adapter for now, so I don't need to hear about getting a new adapter.

I'm surfing the net as I type this perfectly fine, no problems at all. It's actually very fast. But a moment ago I was surfing also until my dad had me check out why his stereo wasn't working and it didn't take me maybe 5 or 10 minutes to show him nothing was wrong and come back to my room to continue and surf the net for crap. But when I came back(as usual is the case) the net doesn't work. It shows that I have a low signal strength(instead of the usual EXCELLENT like right now) and in order to do anything on the net again I have to reconnect to my router.

What I find odd is that this doesn't seem to effect F@H that I have noticed, it may be effecting it and I don't realize it yet. I haven't had wireless networing on my main rig... ever, so I am a bit new to this. Usually wireless is for anyone who came over to my apartment not for me since I want the best ping and all I could get for games and such.

Is there something I need to do? This is through routerPPPOE so perhaps it has something to do with keeping the connection alive? I haven't used DSL in a LONG time so I guess I am new to it again :p

Thanks for any help guys.

Comments

• entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2005
    This used to happen to me a lot. For no reason, it'd disconnect at night. Have you tried playing with the channels again? I thought mine was perfect at 7, which it was. Then all the sudden I started getting crap signals and disconnects. I changed it to 11, and everything works fine. Actually, 13 works THE best for me, but being that my parents have a v4 card, they must've fixed it, because they cannot connect on that channel (because in the US, it's usually blocked out). If you want to try that, get HyperWRT. The other "hacked" one didn't work for me at all, but this one does wonders.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    That didn't seem to help :(
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    It seems to be doing this quite on time. If there is no internet activity for a period of time, even when I have my browser open, it just disconnects me from the network all together.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    A bunch of guru's on this site and only one reply? :scratch:
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2005
    Another idea I'd forgotten about (though, it might just be another waste of time... ;D):

Go to Device Manager. Right click on the USB Network thingy. See if you can go to the Advanced tab. Look for something called "Power Save Mode" or something. Set it to disabled.

I know this is how my Linksys PCI wireless card works, and I'm throwing that out on the offshot you have the same array of settings. If not, I'm out of ideas...