Drive failure soon?

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited April 2005 in Hardware
When I built my computer, I was rather stupid. I bought the CHEAPEST stuff I could find, from where ever I could find it. The 120 gig hard drive I bought was no exception. It's worked fine so far, but as opposed to my new Samsung 120, it's very hot. It also makes quite a bit more noise. The Samsung is quite literally dead silent... it inherently has a bit of a very quiet, very high-pitched whine, but I can't even hear it anymore (probably just so used to it).

I remember seeing this in some program awhile ago, and I ended up finding it again (or at least a different one... doesn't matter, really). So you can see in the first screenshot, that this drive is getting crappy. Is this TOO crappy? I mean, this is the drive that Windows is installed on, along with most of my games and all of my programs. All my music is safe on the Samsung (and that's all that really matters, right? ;D). However, I don't want this to conk out anytime soon. If this is getting critical, would it be better if I flip-flopped their functions? Ie - take everything from one and put it on the other, and vice-versa? This would minimize use on the poor one, but it'd still be there and glaring at me. Or should I get another drive, and toss this one to only the not-very-important files?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    Find the diagnostic tool from the HD Manufacturer and see what it says.

Check your case cooling, too. I'm assuming that this tool uses S.M.A.R.T. to monitor temp & rpm. The warning is that the temperature has suddenly gone up. This could be due to a bad bearing leading to increased friction (= heat) in the drive. Or, it could be dust, a stalled fan, or just an increase in the ambient temperature of your room on this fine spring day. :)
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited April 2005
    Uhh, you're not gonna believe this, but I honestly don't know the manufacturer of that drive... :o :(

I can't remember what site I got it from, or what it said. There is NO indication on the drive itself, either. I think it might be a Seagate, but I honestly do not know...
    edited April 2005
    entropy wrote:
    Uhh, you're not gonna believe this, but I honestly don't know the manufacturer of that drive...
    See if the Belarc Advisor can help you out.

...Prof mumbles something to himself about not buying generic hardware... :shakehead ;D
    edited April 2005
    ;D

Small world. I googled the number I always see (OEM120-72AS) and came up with one result: Short-Media!. Talk about coincidences. It's from here: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75
    and the SATA Drive (again it's a Segate knock off) OEM120 72AS 12GB 7 SCSI DISK DEVICE or so it says.

While the 12 GB and the SCSI part don't mean anything, he DID say it was a Seagate knck off. So yeah, I guess that's what it is. However, if it's a "knock off" would Seagate's tools work?
    edited April 2005
    entropy wrote:
    ...if it's a "knock off" would Seagate's tools work?
    I can think of at least one way to find out. :vimp:

Often that sort of thing is a genuine (in this case Seagate) part. They sell them to system manufacturers who re-badge them, absolving Seagate of any warranty responsibilities.

See what Belarc says, first.
    edited April 2005
    Belarc said exactly what I see everywhere (BIOS, programs, etc) "OEM120-72AS"
    edited April 2005
    Try the Seagate tool. If that doesn't work I have another program which may do it. It's an excellent tool, but is a few years old. I can't remember if it works with drives larger than 8.4GB though.