Motherboards

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited April 2005 in Hardware
Can someone tell me what exactly a motherboard does and its functions?

All Im guessing is that its used to transport information at speeds but I dont know.

Im learning so :) Bare with me.

Thanks.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    The motherboard is the sort of piece that holds everything else.

The motherboard is the main board inside of a computer that has slots and sockets - you plug the CPU, the memory, and various cards (like video, sound, etc.) into the motherboard. Consider it the "central nervous system" of the computer.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's why we're here. We all started off just like you.
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited April 2005
    what are ghz?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    It's a way of measuring one aspect of an electrical devices speed.

GHz is an abbreviation of "GigaHertz"

Giga = One billion

Hertz = A unit of frequency equal to one cycle per second.

An electrical device (like a CPU) which is rated at 3 GHz will run at 3 Billion cycles per second.

If you look at your household appliances you might see a sticker somewhere saying 60Hz. (50Hz in the UK). That is the rate that AC Power cycles for household current - 60 cycles per second. CPU's cycle their electrical current a wee bit faster than that. :D
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2005
    I like the think of the Motherboard as the "backbone" of a system if you will.

It has hundereds of pathways that allow all the components in a system to communicate with eachother.

I relate computer parts to body parts now days.

CPU & HDD = Brain. Here, calculations and higher functions are completed and information is stored and accessed.

RAM = Heart. Maintains the function speed of your system.

Motherboard = Backbone. Allows components to communicate with eachother and controls seconday functions (onboard audio/video/lan)

Maybe that can help you understand them a little better :)