How long to fold?

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited April 2005 in Folding@Home
Anyone know about approximately how long it should take a P4 to chew on a p1803 (or 1801)_Collagen_POG10_refolding? A very rough guess would be fine.

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    doesn't emIII calculate that for you? I'm just asking cause I don't remember.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    OK... keebs has a confession to make. He's never used EM3 before.

:hiding:

I guess I'll give that a whirl and see what I get.
    edited April 2005
    I might be able to plug it for you
    edited April 2005
    what's your frame time hh:mm:ss
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited April 2005
    Here's my guess:

Since the p1803 is worth 69p and the p1801 is worth 66p, i'm guessing 12 hours or less for them to complete.
    edited April 2005
    Oh man, something is horribly wrong then. Some of them are taking this long:

[07:13:14] Completed 7500 out of 250000 steps (3)
    [07:24:09] Writing checkpoint files
    [07:46:09] Writing checkpoint files
    [08:08:14] Writing checkpoint files
    [08:30:24] Writing checkpoint files
    [08:52:34] Writing checkpoint files
    [09:14:44] Writing checkpoint files
    [09:36:54] Writing checkpoint files
    [09:59:09] Writing checkpoint files
    [10:21:19] Writing checkpoint files
    [10:43:29] Writing checkpoint files
    [11:05:44] Writing checkpoint files
    [11:27:59] Writing checkpoint files
    [11:50:14] Writing checkpoint files
    [12:12:24] Writing checkpoint files
    [12:34:39] Writing checkpoint files
    [12:56:54] Writing checkpoint files
    [13:19:09] Writing checkpoint files
    [13:41:29] Writing checkpoint files
    [14:03:54] Writing checkpoint files
    [14:26:24] Writing checkpoint files
    [14:36:44] Writing local files
    [14:36:44] Completed 10000 out of 250000 steps (4)

We've also been having issues with Norton scanning the lab ALL day, instead of finishing in 30 minutes like it's supposed to. Even after stopping it, I'm still getting numbers like this on some of the machines. :(
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2005
    I've had trouble with a lot of the smaller WU's, possibly related to the new cores... :-/

This was using my A64 3500+ as a benchmark:
    edited April 2005
    Think I should try deleting the cores?
    edited April 2005
    Think I should try deleting the cores?
    I dunno...

If you have the older version backed up to replace it with it might be worth a try. The problem is, it'll most likely get updated again as soon as you get a new WU.

I checked out the Folding Community Forums but couldn't find any threads concerning problems with the newly-released cores. :-/
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited April 2005
    Unfortunately i'm at the mine for another week, else i would check what ours are processing. You may have mentioned it before, just don't recall, which P4 is it keebs.

2.4......3.2 as this will have a bearing on how long to process.
    edited April 2005
    They are 2.4s
    edited April 2005
    For what it's worth, the WU on the 1900+ computer that was Folding at a ~190ppw rate has now improved to about 560ppw, this after no changes on my part.

That's still about half what this computer was doing on previous WU's, but at least it's picking up the pace enough that I don't have to see that depressing "120 Hours" under time remaining to completion (for a 149-Point WU).
    edited April 2005
    Update: The rig to which I've been referring finally finished it's WU and is now crunching a new (different) WU at its expected ~1,000 ppw pace.

The WU that was the stinker was the p741. Another one of my machines has one of those and is displaying the same less than 50% expected performance business.

Just FYI. :)
    edited April 2005
    Only 5 WUs and I'm 3-5 days in, depending on the machine. :( The PCs are all crapped up from so much use. Our first priority when classes end in 4 weeks will be to reimage them and hopefully that will put them folding at a proper pace. I'm still monitoring them, but I can't do too much about it. They randomly start lagging for hours at a time, and I can't find any correlating explanation in usage or other tasks running.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2005
    I wouldnt be surprised that with Norton+FAH running, they both take extremely long time to finish.
    edited April 2005
    mmonnin wrote:
    I wouldnt be surprised that with Norton+FAH running, they both take extremely long time to finish.
    I must have just been lucky, but when I still used Norton I didn't seem to have too much trouble.

On the other hand, my GF's computer has always been somewhat of an underachiever...might be time to switch her to AVG.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2005
    Well I am guessing this is over the network and not quite on the same machines you and I use. Most likely with slower HDDs, something scanning kicks the crap out of.